This creamy chicken gnocchi soup has a chicken broth and cream base that makes for a delicious savory soup. Filled with onions, carrots, celery and spinach. It’s hearty and so filling. The whole family will flock to this dinner.
The creamiest and dreamiest soup and perfect for the start of soup season.
I love making this creamy chicken gnocchi soup for my family! You can’t help but refill your bowl a few times with this warming, cozy soup.
If you’ve ever had Olive Garden’s chicken gnocchi soup this has a lot of the same ingredients.
I’ve actually never had Olive Garden’s, so I wouldn’t say that this is a copycat recipe by any means. But it definitely looks similar once I checked there’s out.
I’ve always been a zuppa toscana fan and was my go to until I started making it at home.
And for all those wondering, how do you pronounce gnocchi? It sounds like n-yo-key.
What Is Gnocchi?
Gnocchi is a potato based pasta made of potato, semolina or flour. It comes from an Italian origin.
The most popular is the potato and flour gnocchi.
They are considered a small dumpling, think of a soft pillow.
When they are cooked they puff up slightly and they have a tender, pillow like texture.
What’s In Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
This soup is filled with so many yummy vegetables and ingredients. Here’s a few of the ingredients that make this just so good.
- chicken – shredded
- onion – for flavor
- carrots – a favorite vegetable, carrots always add a great flavor and texture in soup
- celery – the celery adds a nice earthy texture and flavor
- garlic – for flavor
- spinach – for a bit of greens
- gnocchi – I opted for a store bought gnocchi, if you are feeling adventurous you can certainly make your own gnocchi
- heavy cream – for richness and creaminess
How To Prepare The Chicken
When it comes to preparing chicken for a recipe like this, you can choose whatever method you like.
I chose to cook my chicken in the instant pot. I like how tender (and easy) this preparation makes it. I have a larger instant pot so you have to add 2 cups to the bottom, then I cooked it for 14 minutes.
Did you know you can cook frozen chicken in an instant pot? Add your instructed amount of water depending on what size you have, then cook it a bit longer. I cook my frozen chicken for 20 minutes then do a slow release of 10 minutes.
You can also cook them in the oven, 400 degrees for about 25-30 minutes is a good general time. Or you can boil your chicken in water on the stovetop.
Once it’s cooked you can shred it up and add it to the soup.
More Delicious Soup Recipes
- Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Copycat Soup – a true copycat recipe, this taste just like the original (I’ve been told better)
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup – made with egg noodles and all the classic chicken noodle soup ingredients like carrots, celery and onions
- Loaded Baked Potato Chowder – it’s like taking a bite out of an actual loaded up baked potato
- Lasagna Tortellini Soup – if you love lasagna then you will love this soup
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo – served with rice, this comforting gumbo is a family favorite recipe
- Creamy Tomato Red Pepper Tortellini Soup – a little spicy
- Tender Pot Roast French Onion Soup – pot roast, onions and tons of ooey gooey cheese
- Easy Tomato Basil Soup – a classic tomato soup recipe
- Freezer Friendly Chicken Tortilla Soup – this soup freezes like a dream for those nights you just don’t want to cook
Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- 1 lb chicken cooked (cook to your preference, see section in blog about preparing the chicken) and shredded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 3 small carrots chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 16 oz potato gnocchi
- 1/2 c frozen spinach
- 1/3 c + 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt + more to taste
- Heat a soup pot over medium/low heat
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil
- Add the chopped onion and a pinch of salt
- Sauté for 5 minutes
- Add the, chopped carrots, chopped celery and minced garlic
- Cook an additional 5 minutes
- Add 2 tbsp of butter, stir
- Add 2 tbsp of flour, mixing constantly for 2 minutes
- Pour in the chicken broth
- Bring this to a boil
- Add the shredded chicken, frozen spinach, gnocchi and 1 tsp salt
- Continue to boil until the gnocchi float to the top, about 3-4 minutes
- Turn heat down to low
- Add the cream and salt
- Cook this on low, covered, 5 minutes
Make sure to follow the Modern Crumb Board on Pinterest for lots of yummy meal inspiration! And subscribe to the newsletter, below, to get updates when new recipes post.