This creamy chicken gnocchi soup has a chicken broth and cream base that makes for a delicious savory soup. Filled with onions, carrots, celery and spinach. It's hearty and so filling. The whole family will flock to this dinner.
This recipe was first published on August 31, 2020.
The creamiest and dreamiest soup and perfect for the start of soup season.
I love making this creamy chicken gnocchi soup for my family! You can't help but refill your bowl a few times with this warming, cozy soup.
If you've ever had Olive Garden's chicken gnocchi soup this has a lot of the same ingredients.
I've actually never had Olive Garden's, so I wouldn't say that this is a copycat recipe by any means. But it definitely looks similar once I checked there's out.
I've always been a zuppa toscana fan and was my go to until I started making this soup at home, which is my new favorite and I make it every other week. And for all those wondering, how do you pronounce gnocchi? It sounds like n-yo-key.
This soup wound up being so popular at my house I made another version, a creamy chicken tortellini soup.
What Is Gnocchi?
Gnocchi is a potato based pasta made of potato, semolina or flour. It comes from an Italian origin.
The most popular is the potato and flour gnocchi.
They are considered a small dumpling, think of a soft pillow.
When they are cooked they puff up slightly and they have a tender, pillow like texture.
This soup is filled with so many yummy vegetables and ingredients. Here's a few of the ingredients that make this just so good.
- chicken - shredded
- onion - for flavor
- carrots - a favorite vegetable, carrots always add a great flavor and texture in soup
- celery - the celery adds a nice earthy texture and flavor
- garlic - for flavor
- spinach - for a bit of greens
- gnocchi - I opted for a store bought gnocchi, if you are feeling adventurous you can certainly make your own gnocchi
- heavy cream - for richness and creaminess
How To Prepare The Chicken
When it comes to preparing chicken for a recipe like this, you can choose whatever method you like.
I chose to cook my chicken in the instant pot. I like how tender (and easy) this preparation makes it. I have a larger instant pot so you have to add 2 cups to the bottom, then I cooked it for 14 minutes.
Did you know you can cook frozen chicken in an instant pot? Add your instructed amount of water depending on what size you have, then cook it a bit longer. I cook my frozen chicken for 20 minutes then do a slow release of 10 minutes.
You can also cook them in the oven, 400 degrees for about 25-30 minutes is a good general time. Or you can boil your chicken in water on the stovetop.
Once it's cooked you can shred it up and add it to the soup.
More Delicious Soup Recipes
- Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Copycat Soup - a true copycat recipe, this taste just like the original (I've been told better)
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup - made with egg noodles and all the classic chicken noodle soup ingredients like carrots, celery and onions
- Loaded Baked Potato Chowder - it's like taking a bite out of an actual loaded up baked potato
- Lasagna Tortellini Soup - if you love lasagna then you will love this soup
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo - served with rice, this comforting gumbo is a family favorite recipe
- Creamy Tomato Red Pepper Tortellini Soup - a little spicy
- Tender Pot Roast French Onion Soup - pot roast, onions and tons of ooey gooey cheese
- Easy Tomato Basil Soup - a classic tomato soup recipe
- Freezer Friendly Chicken Tortilla Soup - this soup freezes like a dream for those nights you just don't want to cook
- 1 lb chicken, cooked (cook to your preference, see section in blog about preparing the chicken) and shredded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 small carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 16 oz potato gnocchi
- ½ c frozen spinach
- ⅓ c + 2 tbsp heavy cream
- ½ tsp salt + more to taste
- Heat a soup pot over medium/low heat
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil
- Add the chopped onion, carrots, celery, minced garlic and a pinch of salt
- Sauté for 5-7 minutes
- Add 2 tbsp of butter, stir
- Add 2 tbsp of flour, mixing constantly for 2 minutes
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil
- Add the shredded chicken, frozen spinach, gnocchi and ½ tsp salt
- Continue to boil until the gnocchi float to the top, about 3-4 minutes
- Turn heat down to low
- Stir in the cream
*you can cook the chicken in the oven for 20 minutes or in the instant pot on the poultry setting (1 c water for traditional instant pot 2 cups of water for the 8 qt)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 326Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 86mgSodium: 1086mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 19g
This information comes from online calculators. Although moderncrumb.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.