There’s something about a bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup that warms your soul. A family recipe that is tried and true and loved by all.
Hearty homemade chicken noodle soup made with chicken broth from a whole chicken. Carrots, onion, celery, chicken, egg noodles and the fresh broth make this soup the best chicken noodle soup I’ve ever had.
Honestly, I get that were all busy, all doing that grind. But nothing beats homemade chicken noodle soup. Especially when your kids are sick.
The first time I ever made homemade chicken noodle soup was over 10 years ago, I was a few years in to dating my husband and he got sick and of course I wanted to impress him so I made chicken noodle soup. I thought I nailed it and I really did.
Back then I made it a bit differently, just like any recipe, it evolves after the years. But 13 years later this one is still pretty true to the original. It’s one of my oldest recipes I’ve been making and holds so much meaning because of all the love that is behind it.
Here’s what I think makes this soup extra delicious. When you make the broth (and you should totally do this step) I make it with water, a whole uncooked chicken and vegetables.
Making your own broth is a great way to know your family is getting the healthiest chicken noodle soup possible. There are definitely some great brands that make really good broth and stock but nothing beats the simplicity and pure ingredients of homemade broth.
Some tips when making homemade chicken noodle soup:
- When taking out the chicken from the water, if it stays together and doesn’t fall apart, be careful transferring to a cutting board – making sure all the water is out of the cavity. I’ve actually gotten water all over my floor, you only do that once 🙂
- Use fresh vegetables for the actual soup, don’t re-use the ones you used to make the broth – one package of carrots/one stalk of celery is perfect for this, I use half for each part of the recipe (btw, did you know one stick of celery is called a rib? The entire thing is a stalk though)
- Chicken better than bouillon, if you don’t have this stuff you NEED it and I stress this in my most popular recipe on here, beef stroganoff. It’s not like a bouillon cube but a condensed base and is so perfect for soups.
Most of all, just put all that love in it.
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- 8-10 c water
- 1 whole chicken
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped
- 4 celery sticks chopped
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 large sprig fresh thyme
- 1 large garlic clove smashed
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced
- 3 celery sticks diced
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 4 tsp chicken base better than bouillon brand
- 10 oz egg noodles
- shredded chicken or 2 cooked chicken breasts if not using a whole chicken from above
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Fresh parsley chopped
- Add all of the “broth” ingredients to a large stock pot, bring everything to a boil and then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 2 hours
- Strain everything from the stock pot, into a smaller pot
- Discard the used vegetables
- To the new pot add the carrots, celery, onion, better than bouillon chicken base, salt and pepper
- Shred the chicken and add to the pot
- Simmer this on low until the vegetables are almost fork tender
- Add the egg noodles cooking per package instruction
- Serve with some fresh chopped parsley and enjoy!