The iconic Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana copycat soup remade to taste exactly like the restaurant favorite. Tender bites of russet potatoes, sausage and kale all together in a creamy and savory broth.
Close your eyes, you won’t taste a difference!
Zuppa Toscana Soup
Want to live on the edge? This olive garden zuppa toscana soup copycat recipe is the bomb.
It’s even better the next night after it’s been sitting in the fridge.
Hello leftover heaven, which didn’t exist until now.
In Phoenix we get some crazy monsoon weather. Which is high winds, some rain, and bad drivers. Although the order should be bad drivers, high winds, and rain.
I really love this time of year because it’s our little break in the heat and we get to enjoy some gloomy weather and when it’s gloomy I break out my winter recipes and sweater.
My husband asks for soup all year round, but when it’s 115 out soup is really the last thing I want to eat, I promised him I wasn’t the only weirdo who thought this (anyone, anyone?).
One of my favorite soups, and I have so many, is this potato and kale soup.
It’s the perfect soup on a ho hum day because it’s hearty and comforting. Packed with potatoes, sausage and kale.
The sausage gives it a little punch of heat which is a nice surprise in the slightly creamy broth.
When I was pregnant with my daughter I would crave this exact soup from Olive Garden, all the time!
Instead of spending a fortune on soup every single week at lunch time I started making it at home.
I love that this version is packed with three times as much potato, kale and sausage. The beauty of a homemade recipe, you make it your own!
More substance to broth ratio. Mmmmmm. Let’s get to cooking.
More soup recipes you will love!
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Loaded Baked Potato Chowder
- Lasagna Tortellini Soup
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
- Creamy Tomato Red Pepper Tortellini Soup
- Tender Pot Roast French Onion Soup
- Easy Tomato Basil Soup
Make sure to follow the Modern Crumb Board on Pinterest for lots of yummy meal inspiration! And subscribe to the newsletter, below, to get updates when new recipes post.
Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup Copycat
- 1 pkg mild Italian sausage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large stalks of kale about 3 cups, stalk removed, rough chopped and massaged (see note * below)
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 3-4 russet potatoes washed and scrubbed clean
- 64 oz of chicken broth
- 1 tsp salt + more to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 C. heavy cream
- parmigiano reggiano
- Heat a large pot over medium heat, add the sausage and cook until no longer pink
- Drain the sausage on a plate lined with some paper towels and wipe out the pan so there isn’t any grease left in it
- Turn the heat on the pot down to med/low
- Add the olive oil, onion and garlic
- Saute until transluscent
- Slice the potatoes on the thickest setting using a mandolin (1/4 inch), cut these rounds into quarters or halves
- Place all the cut potatoes into a bowl of water and rinse until the water runs clear to remove excess starch
- Add the potatoes, sausage, chicken broth, salt and pepper to the pot
- Turn the heat up to high until it reaches a boil
- Now turn the heat down to low, cover and simmer 15 minutes
- Add in the kale and cook for 5 minutes
- Turn the heat off, let it cool slightly so it’s not scalding hot anymore and stir in the cream
- Serve into bowls with parmigiano reggiano cheese on top (just like at Olive Garden!)