Creamy tomato basil soup with just enough texture so it feels hearty, balanced nicely so it’s not too acidic and goes down smooth. It’s going to warm you down to your bones.
This easy and creamy tomato basil soup is seriously the best! That classic, iconic, childhood favorite that you always paired with a grilled cheese.
Tomato soup is just a household staple. My husband’s favorite as a child. And now my son’s favorite, and he calls it orange soup.
If you’ve ever made tomato soup at home you know it can be tricky to get the acid from the tomatoes balanced. Vegetables and the right amount of salt really help to get you that perfect flavor.
Celery and carrots add some earthiness that the tomatoes really need to help keep the soup mild.
This creamy tomato basil soup delivers, it’s SO good.
I could have licked the bowl clean and for all I know I may have, since I was in a delicious soup coma and all.
To compliment the soup I threw together some these little grilled cheese sandwiches per the request of my family.
Now don’t freak out when you see this recipe alls for 2 tsp of salt, keep in mind this makes a HUGE batch of soup.
On the nights where you may have forgotten to get dinner, or buy something for dinner, it’s the perfect solution when you remember you froze a bunch of tomato soup!
More Soup Recipes To Love
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup – perfect for when you are feeling nostalgic
- Loaded Baked Potato Chowder – hearty and super comforting, it tastes just like a baked potato with all the works
- Lasagna Tortellini Soup – For all those lasagna lovers out there
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo – served with rice
- Creamy Tomato Red Pepper Tortellini Soup – A quick and easy tomato soup recipe
- Tender Pot Roast French Onion Soup – french onion soup, with tender pot roast chunks in a savory broth with cheese melted on top
- Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Copycat Soup – It’s been reviewed as even better than the restaurant favorite
Make sure to follow the Modern Crumb Board on Pinterest for lots of yummy meal inspiration! And subscribe to the newsletter, below, to get updates when new recipes post.
Easy and Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large sweet yellow onion chopped
- 4 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 16 oz chicken broth
- 2 cans organic crushed tomatoes
- 1 c cream
- 5 large fresh basil leaves chopped
- Heat a large pot over medium/low heat
- Add the olive oil, butter, onions, garlic, carrots, celery and celery salt
- Saute for 5 minutes
- To this add the crushed tomatoes, broth, fresh basil, salt and pepper
- Simmer on low, covered, for 1 hour
- Use an immersion blender or regular blender and pulse a few times to get out the big chunks, it shouldn’t be completely smooth but have a rough consistency
- Add the cream
- Serve with a grilled cheese!