Smooth and creamy broccoli cheddar soup made with big pieces of broccoli, shredded carrots and sharp cheddar cheese. Grab the bread for dipping and don’t be shy on refills.
I love soup season.
I love sweater weather.
But I really, really love, broccoli cheddar soup. Hands down one of my all time favorite soups.
Maybe because I’ve convinced myself that it’s partially sort of healthy. Broccoli is the main ingredient after all, right? Right. That’s our story. Let’s roll with it.
Or it could just be because this particular recipe is insanely delicious, super easy to make and always turns out the same. It’s one of my oldest recipes so it’s been tested time and time again.
It’s made with extra sharp cheddar cheese. No processed cheese. Big chunks of broccoli, you won’t find any little flecks of broccoli bit in this recipe. Shredded carrots, because it gives it so much flavor.
Broccoli cheddar soup should be hearty and packed full of broccoli. Panera’s is decent-ish, but it’s basically all cheese and there’s barely any broccoli in it. Not cool.
How To Thicken Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Using flour to make a roux is one way the soup will get thickened. The other is by using the cheddar cheese.
This recipe calls for thickening the soup twice, at two different times in the cooking process.
The first time is at the beginning, it calls for adding butter and flour, stirring to make a roux and adding broth. Everything get’s brought to a strong boil.
The second time is when you add the cheddar cheese into the soup. Before putting it right it, sprinkle flour over the shredded cheese and then add it.
This makes the soup extra creamy and helps with the last bit of thickening.
How To Make Broccoli Cheddar Soup
30 minutes is all you need to make this.
You’ll start with sautéing onions and nutmeg together, in butter. This helps release all the nutmeg flavor by adding it in the beginning. Next it gets thickened with flour.
Then add the liquids, vegetables and a bay leaf (my secret ingredient).
It will need to simmer for 20 minutes. After that you can add your cheese and it’s ready to serve.
And I can’t stress enough to shred your own cheese for this recipe. Pre-packaged cheese will not melt the same because it’s usually coated in something. So get a block of cheddar, and grate away.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to some of your most frequently asked questions when it comes to broccoli cheddar soup.
- My soup isn’t thick, what did I do wrong?
- Once you add the flour to the butter, then add the broth, you should let it boil, this helps it to thicken
- As the soup starts to cool, it thickens quite a bit, let it rest a few minutes more
- Is broccoli cheddar soup gluten free?
- If you don’t add flour as the thickener, you could try replacing flour with corn starch, however I have not tested this method of preparation
- Can I make this in the crock pot?
- Unfortunately I have not tried this method so I can’t say whether or not it will be successful prepared this way
- My cheese didn’t blend well, what happened?
- If you used pre-shredded packaged cheese, this is most likely your culprit. Pre-shredded cheese is usually coated in something and it doesn’t melt smoothly.
Soup Recipes To Try
- Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Copycat Soup – a true copycat recipe, this taste just like the original (I’ve been told better)
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup – made with egg noodles and all the classic chicken noodle soup ingredients like carrots, celery and onions
- Loaded Baked Potato Chowder – it’s like taking a bite out of an actual loaded up baked potato
- Lasagna Tortellini Soup – if you love lasagna then you will love this soup
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo – served with rice, this comforting gumbo is a family favorite recipe
- Creamy Tomato Red Pepper Tortellini Soup – a little spicy
- Tender Pot Roast French Onion Soup – pot roast, onions and tons of ooey gooey cheese
- Easy Tomato Basil Soup – a classic tomato soup recipe
- Freezer Friendly Chicken Tortilla Soup – this soup freezes like a dream for those nights you just don’t want to cook
30 Minute Easy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 3 tbsp flour
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 2 c half and half
- 2 large carrots peeled and grated on the small grate side
- 2 broccoli heads cut into small florets (about 4 cups)
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 oz extra sharp cheddar
- 1/2 c fresh parmigiano reggiano cheese
- Heat a soup pot over medium/low heat and add the butter, diced onions and nutmeg
- Sauce the onions until translucent, 3-5 minutes
- Add the flour, whisk for 1 minute
- Add the chicken broth, whisking constantly (pour in 1/2 cup at a time, so it blends smoothly)
- Turn heat up to high, bring to a low boil
- Add the half and half, stirring, boil an addition minute or two
- Add the grated carrots, broccoli and the bay leaf
- Turn heat down to low, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until the broccoli is cooked (a bit more than al dente, but not mushy)
- Sprinkle a bit of extra flour on your grated cheeses, and toss it around to coat
- Add the cheeses to the soup, stirring until melted
- Once you take the soup off the heat it will thicken more, let it rest a bit
- Add salt and pepper to taste
Make sure to follow the Modern Crumb Board on Pinterest for lots of yummy meal inspiration! And subscribe to the newsletter, below, to get updates when new recipes post.