This homemade chicken and thyme dumplings recipe is quick and easy to prepare! With a savory broth and soft homemade thyme dumplings it’s sure to be a family favorite.
Homemade chicken and thyme dumplings is seriously the most amazing winter dinner. It doesn’t matter what cooking level you are at either, if you follow the instructions you can make this!
Big hunks of chicken, onions and carrots all swirled together in a savory sauce with fresh thyme and topped with homemade thyme biscuits.
This is like no other chicken and dumplings. It’s seriously, the best. You can’t stop the “mmm’s” while eating this dinner. Multiple servings will happen and are highly encouraged.
When fall and winter rolls around it’s like nature telling me, go ahead girl, you eat that warm comfort food in your sweater and fuzzy socks. No shame here. But come on, winter is the right of passage for all things soup.
Chicken and thyme dumplings is pretty much like a chicken pot pie, but the sauce is even thicker and even creamier and instead of a pie crust top, its a soft dumpling top. But not like biscuits you would pull out of the oven, these are softer. When you make the dumplings you add extra milk, so it’s thinner than a typical biscuit consistency.
Then the thyme dumplings cook, while covered, in the sauce. There are no eggs in the biscuits so you don’t run the risk of something being undercooked. It’s quite magical that they cook this way.
You are going to love this one!
Homemade Chicken and Thyme Dumplings
- 2 c chicken cooked and shredded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 c carrots chopped small
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp season all seasoning
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp salt + more to taste
- 1/4 c flour
- 3 c chicken broth
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 1 fresh thyme sprig leaves only
- 1 1/2 c flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 c milk
- 1 thyme sprig leaves only
- Heat a tall rimmed pan over medium heat
- Add the olive oil, butter, onion and carrots, saute for 5 minutes
- Mix in the garlic, season all, celery salt and few pinches of pepper
- Add 1/4 c of flour and mix for one minute
- Pour in the chicken broth, heavy cream, shredded chicken and fresh thyme leaves
- Turn heat down to low
— Start working on the dumplings —
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and thyme
- Work the butter into the flour mixture with your hands
- Use a spoon to slowly mix in the milk to the flour, until a wet dough forms
- Add the dumpling batter to the sauce pan by mounded tablespoonfuls, leaving a little room between each one
- Cover and cook on low for 20-25 minutes