This creamy chicken tortellini soup is perfect for you if you love chicken noodle soup. It takes around 30 minutes to make and is full of yummy vegetables like carrots, celery and spinach. Your family will love the cheesy tortellinis and creamy savory broth.
This may look a little familiar if you try a lot of my recipes. It's an almost exact replica of my absolute favorite easy 30 minute soup, the creamy chicken gnocchi soup. Except this one is made with cheese tortellinis.
Both are amazing and you can't go wrong with either, but this one is for the cheese lovers out there.
I always use my instant pot to prepare the chicken, it takes as much time to prepare the soup as it does for the chicken to cook. And the instant pot always makes perfect shreddable chicken, which you need for this recipe.
If you don't have an instant pot you can bake your chicken in the oven, boil it, or even use some already cooked store bought rotisserie chicken.
Here's what you'll need to make this soup, but make sure to read the recipe card for a full list of ingredients, amounts and the instructions.
- chicken breast - cook it and shred it, you could also use a rotisserie chicken to make things simpler
- olive oil
- yellow onion
- fresh garlic
- chicken broth
- tortellinis - could be the fresh or frozen kind
- heavy cream
More Soup Recipes
- One Pot Lasagna Soup
- Creamy Lasagna Cheese Tortellini Soup
- Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Alphabet Soup
- 1 lb chicken breast, cooked and shredded (see notes)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 small carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 10 ounces cheese tortellinis (fresh or frozen)
- ½ c frozen spinach
- ⅓ c + 2 tbsp heavy cream
- ½ tsp salt + more to taste
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- Heat a soup pot over medium/low heat
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil
- Add the chopped onion, carrots, celery, garlic and a pinch of salt
- Sauté for 5-7 minutes
- Add 2 tbsp of butter, stir
- Add 2 tbsp of flour, mixing constantly for 2 minutes
- Pour in the chicken broth
- Bring this to a boil
- Add the shredded chicken, frozen spinach, tortellinis and ½ tsp salt
- Cover and reduce heat to low
- Continue to simmer until the tortellini float to the top, about 3-4 minutes
- Stir in the cream
Cooking the chicken, here are a few methods you could use
- Instant pot - 18 minutes, high pressure, no slow release (an 8 qt instant pot needs 2 cups of water in the bottom, 1 cup for traditional instant pot)
- Oven - 400 degrees for 25 minutes
- Boiling - boil the chicken in water until no longer pink in the middle
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 290Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 1078mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 25g
This information comes from online calculators. Although moderncrumb.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.