These pumpkin scones are hands down the best and have been described as better than Starbucks pumpkin scones! One of my favorite things about these pumpkin scones is the soft crumb and spices.
So let's talk about the elephant in the room.
That's right. I said it.
These are better than Starbucks pumpkin scones! Pumpkin scones with a pumpkin spice glaze means one thing and one thing only.
You need to prepare yourself for the most amazing pumpkin scones of your life AND it's October.
Okay, so it meant two things.
If you are a pumpkin lover, a pumpkin connoisseur of all things pumpkin, then you really need to make a batch of these. Imagine what a pumpkin pie tastes like.
Soft or Dry Scones?
They are soft and pillow-like on the inside with yummy notes of pumpkin pie spice.
It's a personal preference really. Some people like a dry scone and others like a soft scone.
Plus, they are drizzled with a yummy pumpkin pie spiced glaze on the outside.
These reign supreme if I say so myself, they are THE pumpkin scones of all pumpkin scones.
Best part of all?
These pumpkin scones are incredibly easy to make, take under 30 minutes and will have you in a pumpkin loving coma in no time.
The recipe is really fool-proof, you can't mess these up.
Well, you probably could mess these up but i've made them a jillion times and I can confidently say it's a solid recipe and you'll have success.
Tips for perfect scones?
My little trick when making scones is to handle them as little as possible.
When you've formed your dough ball, roll it out on to a floured surface and use your fingers (flour those too) to press it out in a 10" circle.
Then take a sharp knife (floured) cut straight down and pull the knife straight up, don't slide it. Sliding it seals the edges, so to get perfect puffy edges you want to lift the knife straight up.
I hope you'll enjoy these pumpkin scones this fall season!
- Pumpkin Roll With Silky Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cheesy Pumpkin and Sage Gnocchi
- 20 Minute Pumpkin Ravioli
- Pumpkin Loaf With Pie Crust Crumble
Make sure to follow the Modern Crumb Board on Pinterest for lots of yummy meal inspiration! And subscribe to the newsletter, below, to get updates when new recipes post.
- 3 c flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 c white sugar
- 1/4 c packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 c butter, cold and cubed
- 1 egg
- 1/4 c half and half + 2 tbsp
- 1/2 c canned pumpkin puree
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- splash of vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400
- In a large bowl sift the flour, baking powder, white sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt
- *Add this to a blender or large food processor along with the cold butter (see note below)
- Pulse until it has turned into the texture of sand and the butter is completely cut into the flour
- Pour this back into the large bowl
- Combine the egg, half and half and pumpkin puree in a separate bowl, whisk until combined
- Make a well in the flour and pour all but 1 tbsp of the wet ingredients into the dry (reserve the 1 tbsp for brushing on the scones prior to baking)
- **Using a fork, mix everything together, gently and as little as possible (see note below)
- Transfer to a floured surface, gently patting down with floured hands to create roughly a 10" circle
- Cut into 8 triangles (for a better rise, cut straight down with a floured knife blade and lift up, do not drag the knife)
- Transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and brush the reserved 1 tbsp mixture over the top
- Bake for 15 minutes
- In a small bowl make the glaze; whisk together the powdered sugar, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, milk and salt until smooth
- Cool the scones and drizzle on the glaze
*crucial step for the most perfect tender/soft scones, if you skip blending or using a food processor your results may be different than mine.
**it may look dry at first but keep mixing gently together, you can always add an extra splash of half and half just be careful not to add too much
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 402Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 538mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 2gSugar: 27gProtein: 6g
This information comes from online calculators. Although moderncrumb.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.