This classic spiced pumpkin roll recipe is filled with the most luscious and silky cream cheese frosting. The pumpkin cake is light, airy and has the most amazing flavor. It’s the perfect fall treat to bake for your family.
Pumpkin roll with a silky cream cheese frosting. What more could you ask for?
It all starts off with the spiced pumpkin cake. It’s super soft and airy, it’s got the perfect amount of bounce to it.
Yes, cakes have bounce, like when you poke it and it springs back. That’s a moist cake!
I whipped the eggs for awhile to get them nice and frothy/thick. Then in goes the rest of the ingredients.
I also sift my dry ingredients, it helps the cake be lighter.
You’ll want to bake it right away, because it has baking soda in it and you don’t want to leave a batter with baking soda sitting for long – it’s best to pop it right in the oven.
So, you spread it out, and you don’t want it to be too thin or it will be dry. 1/2″ is what you’ll be aiming for once it’s baked.
Straight out of the oven you turn it on to a clean (do I need to specify clean? please use a fresh clean kitchen towel, haha) and dusted with powdered sugar, kitchen towel.
Then it gets rolled up, for about an hour to cool and it will hold its circular roll shape. Magic — right!?
Slather on the cream cheese frosting, re-roll and call it a day.
- 3 eggs
- 1 c white sugar
- 2/3 c pumpkin puree
- 3/4 c flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- splash of vanilla
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
cream cheese frosting filling
- 1 stick cream cheese, 8 oz, softened
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 c powdered sugar, sifted
- pinch of salt
- splash of vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the eggs on high for 3-5 minutes, until they have thickened and are fluffy
- Mix in the white sugar, stir for a minute
- Mix in the pumpkin puree and splash of vanilla
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon
- Add this to the mixer, on low speed, until just combined
- Spray a 10x15 inch pan with nonstick spray, cover with a layer of parchment paper
- Spread the batter evenly over the parchment paper, to all sides (if your pan is bigger than 10x15 only spread it out to those measurements)
- Bake for 7-9 minutes, poke it and it should bounce back
- Whip together the cream cheese frosting filling; cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, pinch of salt and vanilla until smooth and silky
- Lay flat a clean kitchen towel, dust with powdered sugar
- Remove the cake from the oven and quickly flip on to the towel, face down (so the parchment paper side is face up)
- Gently remove the parchment paper and sprinkle with a littler more powdered sugar
- Roll the cake up and let it sit for 1 hour until cool
- Unroll and spread with the cream cheese frosting
- Roll back up, slice and serve!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 313Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 348mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 1gSugar: 33gProtein: 4g
This information comes from online calculators. Although moderncrumb.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.