These skillet carnitas nachos are fully loaded! Tortilla chips piled high with refried beans, jack cheese, jalapeños, onions, tomatoes and homemade guacamole. These are quick and easy to assemble, they only take 30 minutes!
If you love nachos, check out these sheet pan steak totchos (tater tot nachos).
The only thing better than tacos are skillet nachos. Because nachos are beyond easy to make, you just put as much stuff imaginable on top of tortilla chips and you are done.
Am I right?
This recipe is for skillet nachos, so you’ll need a skillet pan. But you can make them on a sheet pan too.
The thing I love about using a skillet is it retains the heat from the oven, so your nachos stay hot throughout dinner. Like with these skillet white chicken and mexican street corn enchiladas.
It’s an easy recipe, you can pick and choose what things you want to put on the nachos and what you things your family might not like – so leave them off.
My kids aren’t crazy about jalapeños so I usually put them on half.
When we have family over I love to make these. Because everyone just gathers around and pulls from it, it’s a great party food too.
Skillet Nachos Tips
I have some time saving tips for you, to make these super stress free.
You are going to use a package of precooked carnitas. Most grocery store will sell this. I’ve seen it at Costco even. All you need to do is heat up the meat and done.
With this option it gives you time to make your own from scratch guacamole. Which, is really easy to put together.
All you need is avocados, onion, a lime, a lemon, cilantro, cumin, chili powder and salt. Everything gets mixed together.
And to keep your guacamole from going brown, if you make it ahead of time, put the avocado pit back in to the guacamole. It will stay fresh.
How To Assemble The Nachos
Here’s the order that works really well for assembling these carnitas skillet nachos.
- tortilla chips
- refried beans
- shredded jack cheese
- jarred jalapeños
- diced onion
- diced tomatoes
Then you bake. After the skillet comes out of the oven, top it with spoonfuls of sour cream and guacamole.
People can’t get enough of these! They are so much fun to eat for dinner with your friends and family. Kid’s love that they get to use their hands.
In this recipe I don’t give a lot of specific measurements for a reason.
Because nachos aren’t really a measurable meal, it’s like put more on if you like a certain thing, leave some off if you like less of that.
One part you don’t want to skimp on is the cheese.
And you have to figure that this feeds 4-6 adults and it’s also 3 layers so the cheese goes fast.
More Nachos and Tacos
- Baked Elote Chicken Taquitos – Mexican street corn (elote) and juicy chicken all in a baked taquito, you have to try these!
- Sheet Pan Steak Totchos – these southwest inspired tater tot nachos have juicy seasoned steak, cheese, tomatoes, green onions and cilantro on top
- Skillet Chicken Jalapeño Cream Cheese Enchiladas – A bit quicker than rolled up enchiladas
- Short Rib Enchiladas With Tomatillo Sauce – The tomatillo sauce is so easy to make, or you can use a jar if you want
- Chicken Street Tacos with Chipotle Aioli – this aioli is a showstopper and you need it
- Crock Pot Chicken Enchiladas With Elote (Mexican Street Corn) – These are seriously amazing, the Mexican street corn is out of this world
30 Minute Skillet Carnitas Nachos
- 16 oz Carnitas fully cooked package
- 8 oz bag of tortilla chips
- 8 oz refried beans warmed up
- 16 oz jack cheese shredded
- jarred sliced jalapeños
- white onion diced
- tomatoes diced
- sour cream
- 2 avocados pitted
- 2 tbsp white onion diced
- 1/2 lime juiced
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 375
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray or grease with choice of oil
- Layer the nachos in this order
- Chips, refried beans, carnitas meat, onions, tomatoes, jalapeños, jack cheese
- Repeat this for a total of 3 layers
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and golden around the edges (you want the underneath layers to also be melted)
- Prepare the guacamole while the nachos baked
- Mashed the avocado with a fork, add in the diced onion, lime juice, lemon juice, cilantro, cumin, chili powder and salt
- Mix it all together
- Carefully take the skillet of nachos out of the oven
- Top with guacamole and sour cream
- There are no amounts listed for jarred jalapeños, onion, tomatoes and sour cream because you can add as much or as little as you want
Did you make this recipe? Please leave a review!