Crispy baked chicken nuggets paired with buttermilk waffles and topped with a quick and easy homemade sriracha honey sauce!
Crispy baked chicken nuggets and fluffy buttermilk waffles drizzled with sriracha honey. What more could one person need!?
I LOVE this recipe for crispy chicken nuggets and waffles.
I have been making these chicken nuggets for EVER. They originally came about from a recipe in a pampered chef cookbook so many years ago, but at this point it’s more of a very loose basis of it, but I thank them for the original idea!
Sun chips. Sun chips are what make these little chicken nuggets so crispy and perfect.
All you have to do is crunch them up, add a bit of seasoning, batter up your chicken and toss. Then I bake them at a high heat and they are super crispy and delicious and make the perfect topping on a waffle.
And sriracha honey!? Have you had this stuff???? There’s not even a recipe, it’s just honey and a squeeze of sriracha. So easy but so darn good.
Chicken and waffles is one of the hardest things for a home cook. Most of us don’t have giant fryers that we can drop the chicken in or want to use that much oil. And getting the chicken cooked throughout can be tricky. It’s a hassle and too time consuming for the likes of me.
Plus my kids love the chicken nuggets and honey is so good for you. I buy the best local honey and it’s just pure golden goodness.
You’ll be making this all the time, every week on repeat, I promise. Oh my gosh, I’m so hungry now.
I actually write up these posts and then drop my pictures in after, because otherwise my stomach is usually growling by the time I’m done.
Crispy Chicken and Buttermilk Waffles With Sriracha Honey
- 1 lb chicken breast cut into bite size pieces
- 5 c sun chips crushed up
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp buttermilk
- 2 c flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 c buttermilk room temp
- 3 eggs room temp
- 4 tbsp butter melted
- Preheat oven to 400
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Sprinkle the cut up chicken with 1/4 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp onion powder, toss around
- Crunch up the sun chips and add 1/2 tsp paprika in a large bowl
- In a bowl whisk together the egg and 2 tbsp of buttermilk until combined
- Add a handful of chicken to the wet batter, shake off the excess and then toss it into sun chips, toss this around to coat all the sides
- Place them on the baking sheet, not touching
- Hold off on putting them in the oven until the waffle batter is done
- In a bowl combine the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder, stir
- In a separate bowl combine the butter, buttermilk and eggs, whisking together (if you add cold milk and eggs to warm butter the butter will sort of seize up and you don’t want this)
- Make a well in the flour mixture and pour in the liquid, mix just until combine, lumps are okay
- Let it sit 10 minutes, give it another stir and start making your waffles in a waffle maker
- Now put the chicken in the oven and bake for 20 minutes
- Meanwhile mix up some sriracha honey, you only need a little squeeze of sriracha
- Serve a buttermilk waffle with the crispy chicken nuggets on top drizzled with the sriracha honey