Fluffy buttermilk waffles are always a good idea! Buttermilk makes waffles so tender and delicious. Topped with a pat of butter and maple syrup, they are the perfect breakfast and sure to be a hit with your family.
This post was originally published October, 29 2018.
If you aren't already making waffles with buttermilk, then you need to be jumping on the bandwagon. Buttermilk makes waffles taste so good, you will love the rich fluffy texture.
Around this time last year I shared this apple dutch baby. Boy is that a winner of a recipe.
But waffles are just one of those classic breakfast items.
You can do so much with them in terms of toppings, like strawberries and whipped cream! Syrup, honey, fruit and nuts.
My personal favorite is salted butter and warm 100% pure maple syrup. It doesn't get any better than that.
My daughter loves honey on her waffles and my son likes to mix honey and syrup. My husband is a syrup kind of guy.
What's your favorite waffle toppings? Drop a comment below.
Speaking of maple syrup, once upon a blue moon my in-laws used to bring us maple syrup from Canada, this stuff was amazing!! It lasted all but a few weeks. Yikes. I am always willing to accept more, wink wink, I know you are reading this.
How Do You Get Fluffy Waffles?
In my experience there are a few ways to make sure you get fluffy waffles every time.
- Always add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. I know it's tempting to dump it all together, but just don't
- Heat the buttermilk in the microwave a tad, so its not cold when you add it
- Don't over mix, the batter does not need to be smooth, lumps are fine
- Don't overcook
One thing you'll notice is that I don't add a lot of sugar to this recipe. I guess I just always figured that it's about to get a sugary topping, what's the point?
I've been making these waffles the same way for almost 15 years and I know for certain this is a tried and true recipe you will use over and over again.
My Favorite Breakfast Recipes
- Potato, Bacon and Onion Quiche - this has a seriously delicious homemade quick and easy flaky crust, it also freezes well
- Blueberry Dutch Baby Pancake - hint, it involves lemon curd
- Soft and Tender English Scones - you won't believe how easy these are to make, soft, buttery, they are super yummy
- Blueberry Crumb Muffins - addicting and there's a how to make video!
- Great Grandma's Cinnamon Apply Dutch Baby Pancake
- 2 c flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 2 c buttermilk, warmed
- Preheat your waffle iron
- You'll need two separate bowls
- In the first bowl melt the butter and then add the eggs, one at a time whisking
- Add the buttermilk and mix this up
- In the other bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder and sugar
- Pour the wet ingredients in to the dry ingredients
- Here's the important part, don't over mix this!
- Use a spatula to fold the wet and dry ingredients together, scraping the sides and bottom
- It's okay if it’s a little lumpy
- Let this rest 10 minutes
- Pour the batter into your waffle maker, pull them out once cooked
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g