For those days you want a quick and easy family friendly dinner, you'll want to make this one pot Mexican beef and rice. Use it to fill a burrito or even a quesadilla, it's so versatile and beyond easy to make.
When it comes to taco Tuesday, my family is all about it. Whether we're making these one pan mesquite chicken fajitas, chicken street tacos with chipotle aioli or even a batch of these easy baked chicken taquitos there is always a Mexican inspired dish going on the dinner table.
But a lot of times, I like to make this one pot Mexican beef and rice because it just can't be beat when you want something quick that takes minimal effort.
It has all your favorite Mexican foods mixed in to one. Seasoned ground beef, tomatoes and green chilies, corn and Spanish rice. Instead of serving everything separately, it's entirely made in one pot.
Most of the ingredients you'll probably already have on hand in your freezer, pantry and fridge. I always go for this Mexican beef and rice when I take some ground beef out of the freezer.
The best part about this dinner is the amazing leftovers you get. No sad sandwich the next, make a cheesy gooey quesadilla with this inside or have another burrito.
It reheats like a dream and is the ideal perfect leftover food.
What Do I serve With Mexican Beef and Rice?
Of course you'll want to serve this with a big pitcher of my famous frozen strawberry margaritas.
And if one batch is too much, just freeze the leftovers!
If you are feeling adventurous making your own homeade pico de gallo is another option.
How Long Does It Cook For?
Cook covered, for about 25 minutes on low. You'll want to peek and see how the cooking process is going around the 20 minute mark, give it a stir and re-cover.
The rice is going to cook slower since it's mixed with everything, instead of when it cooks along and rice would usually take 20 minutes or less. So keep that in mind.
If it's not done at 25 minutes and the rice still tastes a bit crunchy just keep going and check every couple minutes. Check, taste, recover.
More Mexican Inspired Family Friendly Dinner Recipes
- Crock Pot Chicken Enchiladas With Elote (Mexican Street Corn) – These are seriously amazing, the Mexican street corn is out of this world
- Skillet Carnitas Nachos – A quick and easy carnitas nacho recipe
- Easy Southwest Steak Frites and Guacamole – Tender steak, wedge cut seasoned fries, guacamole and and all covered in jack cheese
- Skillet Chicken Jalapeño Cream Cheese Enchiladas – A bit quicker than rolled up enchiladas
- Short Rib Enchiladas With Tomatillo Sauce – The tomatillo sauce is so easy to make, or you can use a jar if you want
- Freezer Friendly Chicken Tortilla Soup – the best freezer friendly chicken tortilla soup, this stuff is amazing
Make sure to follow the Modern Crumb Board on Pinterest for lots of yummy meal inspiration! And subscribe to the newsletter, below, to get updates when new recipes post.
- 1 lb ground beef
- Olive oil
- 1 taco seasoning packet
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp salt
- Pinch of ground pepper
- 1 c basmati rice
- 1 can mild rotel, pulse this in a blender or food processor so its not as chunky
- 1 c frozen corn
- 2 ½ c chicken broth
- Fresh cilantro, handful
- Brown the ground beef
- Drain off the excess fat
- Add in ½ chopped onion, 2 garlic cloves, cumin, salt, pepper and a taco seasoning packet
- Add the basmati rice, cook 1-2 minutes
- Add 1 can rotel
- Add 2 ½ c chicken broth
- Add 1 cup frozen corn
- Bring to a boil, stirring, then turn heat to low
- Simmer for 25 minutes
- Check to make sure when rice is cooked its done
- Sprinkle on the cilantro, stir to combine
- Serve by spooning in to a warmed tortilla with whatever toppings you like!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g