If you’re looking for that perfect summer salad than look no further with this Italian chopped salad served up with crispy roasted chickpeas. Served up with mozzarella, salami, pepperoncinis, carrots, pepperoni, cucumber, red onion and tomato.
It’s the perfect main course mid-week family dinner that you can throw together in minutes.
What’s Inside An Italian Chopped Salad
This Italian chopped salad is full of so many yummy things!
Here’s everything that you are going to serve up.
- Mozzarella balls – these are precut balls of mozzarella cheese, alternatively if you can’t find these you can cut up a hunk of mozzarella cheese in to bite sized pieces
- Genoa salami – an Italian chop staple
- Pepperoncinis – sweet Italian peppers, they are mild in flavor with a sweet tang
- Carrot – shredded carrot is a great added vegetable
- Pepperoni – another classic Italian meat to use
- Romaine – you’ll want to use a crispy crunchy lettuce that can hold up to all the salads toppings
- Spring mix lettuce – a good base salad to use, there’s a variety of different lettuce in it
- Cherry tomatoes – any color you like, I just love the yellow ones they are so pretty
- Red onion – for a bit of bite and crunch
- Cucumbers – cool and refreshing, they are great added vegetable to this salad
- Crispy roasted chickpeas – tossed in olive oil and Italian seasoning then roasted in the oven until the outside gets crispy
Roasting chickpeas is so simple!
All you need is a can of garbanzo beans, olive oil and some dried Italian seasoning and salt.
You’ll want to drain out all of the liquid of the chickpeas first, then toss them in the olive oil, seasoning and salt.
Then you’ll roast them on a sheet pan in the oven at 450 degrees for just about 10-15 minutes and you’ll see how crispy the outside gets. They are so yummy!
What Are Chickpeas?
Chickpeas are garbanzo beans. They are exactly the same thing.
Chickpeas are from the legume family. They are super healthy and high in protein. They are a wonderful vegetarian option.
You could completely sub out the salami and pepperoni for extra chickpeas if you want to make the salad vegetarian.
How Much Salad Does This Make
This Italian chopped salad serves a family of 4 easily. However if you want to make it for a bigger crowd you can easily double it, or just eyeball how much you’ll need to fill the bowl.
A little bit extra here and there will increase your salad size.
And if your family really loves some of the ingredients, use extra! If they don’t like, let’s say red onions, you could just leave them out entirely.
Salad recipes are always a guideline because it’s so easy to substitute without messing up the whole recipe.
More Family Friendly Main Course Salads
If you are looking for more main course salad recipes this is a great place to start!
Here are some of my favorite family friendly main course salad recipes.
- Steak and Vegetable Salad With Creamy Lemon Vinaigrette – this salad is really similar to a nicoise salad, it has a lot of the same ingredients but is much more family friendly
- Chimichurri Steak and Vegetable Salad – filled with tender cuts of steak, crispy potatoes, grilled asparagus and red onion, corn and a homemade chimichurri dressing
- Thai Peanut Chicken Noodle Salad – juicy chicken, rice noodles, shredded carrots, bell peppers, broccoli florets, green onion, cabbage, peanuts and the yummiest homemade creamy peanut sauce
- Juicy Buffalo Chicken Avocado Salad – Juicy chicken breast covered in buffalo sauce and served with tomatoes, avocado, carrots, celery and crunchy romaine
- Easy and Healthy Asian Chicken Salad – A super easy asian chicken salad recipe filled with carrots, cabbage, pineapple, cucumber, green onion, romaine, edamame, peanuts and tender chicken
Make sure to follow the Modern Crumb Board on Pinterest for lots of yummy meal inspiration! And subscribe to the newsletter, below, to get updates when new recipes post.
- 1 can garbanzo beans, chickpeas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried Italian herb seasoning
- salt, pinch of
- romaine lettuce, chopped
- spring mix salad
- 1 c cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 c sliced pepperoncinis
- 1 cucumber, peeled and quartered chopped
- 8 oz mozzarella balls
- 1 c carrots, matchsticks or shredded
- 1 c pepperoni, sliced
- 1 c salami, sliced
- 1/2 c red onion, sliced
- italian dressing, bottled
- Preheat the oven to 450
- Drain the garbanzo beans and add them to a bowl
- To the bowl add the olive oil, italian herb seasoning and a pinch or two of salt tossing it together
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread out the chickpeas
- Roast for 10-15 minutes until crispy, set aside
- Make sure to wash all of your produce
- Grab a large bowl and add the spring mix salad to the very bottom
- In sections add the pepperoni, pepperoncinis, shredded carrots, pepperoni, romaine, tomatoes, red onion, cucumber and mozzarella
- To the very middle add the roasted chickpeas
- Serve in to individual bowls, then top with italian dressing, so the large salad doesn’t get soggy if you don’t eat all of it
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g