This Thai peanut chicken noodle salad is filled with lots of yummy vegetables for a healthy family dinner. In this salad you'll find grilled chicken, carrots, red bell pepper, broccoli, green onions, cabbage and rice noodles. The creamy homemade peanut sauce is the perfect dressing to top it with.
This recipe was first published on July 23, 2018.
This Thai chicken peanut noodle salad reminds me of a deconstructed summer roll.
Actually it tastes exactly like a summer roll, minus the avocado (trust me, you won't miss it).
I made this when I had no clue what to make for dinner one night. Sometimes the most easy dinners come from a spur of the moment idea and random ingredients in your fridge.
It's like playing "chopped" in your own kitchen.
If you want to get extra fancy you can shave the carrots.
Which was impossible before I got a mandoline slicer, it's made all my vegetable cutting a breeze. I got it for my birthday and you'd think I would hate getting kitchen stuff but alas, I love it.
Give me all the gadgets please!
It has a creamy Thai inspired peanut sauce tossed in to it along with some crushed peanuts for that extra peanut crunch.
Prep the vegetables and sauce while you grill the chicken and then just pile everything in a bowl, toss toss toss and that's dinner!
On the subject of chicken its pretty cut and dry. Season it with a few pinches of salt and pepper and then use a stovetop grill pan to cook it.
Let it sit to lock in the juiciness and once you slice it, grab yourself a lime wedge or two and squeeze it all over the grilled chicken.
This is such a kid friendly meal!
My kids love dipping the chicken and veggies into the "peanut butter" aka the peanut sauce.
They seemed a bit hesitant about it all being combined in a salad and that's where this is perfect for kids, because you can separate it all out for them.
How To Make The Thai Noodle Salad
Start by cooking the rice noodles, they cook fast so you want to keep an eye on them so they don't get mushy. Just before you think they are ready transfer them to an ice bath. This keeps them from getting too sticky and cooking any longer.
Grill the chicken. This could be outside on your barbecue grill or using an indoor stovetop grill - which is my preferred method when I only need a pound of chicken.
To make cutting the vegetables the easiest possible I suggest using a mandoline slicer but you have to be careful - these are very sharp!
Once everything is prepped add it to a bowl and toss it all together. Top it with crushed peanuts, lime wedges and the peanut sauce.
How To Make The Peanut Sauce
Making the thai peanut sauce is pretty straight forward. Mix the ingredients together until combined.
You'll need peanut butter, hoisin, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, ginger powder, soy sauce and some water.
If it's too thick then you can add a splash of water more at a time, until its thin enough to your liking.
Salad Recipes To Try
- Avocado Pomegranate Chicken Salad
- Summer Chicken Taco Salad
- Chimichurri Steak Salad
- Italian Chopped Salad With Crispy Chickpeas
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 2 carrots, shaved thin
- red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 raw broccoli head, cut into small florets
- 2 green onions, sliced on an angle
- 8 oz rice noodles
- 1/4 c crushed peanuts
- optional: sesame seeds
- 1/2 c peanut butter
- 2 tbsp hoisin
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/8 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 c tbsp water + more if too thick
- Season the chicken breasts with a pinch of salt and pepper
- Grill the chicken using a stovetop grill or outdoor grill, cook until no longer pink in the middle
- Let the grilled chicken rest for at least 10 minutes prior to cutting it up
- Cook the rice noodles per package instruction
- Once cooked transfer to an ice bath (to avoid mushy noodles)
- Stir together all of the ingredients to make the peanut sauce, add extra water to thin it out as needed
- Cut up the vegetables
- In a large bowl add the carrots, cabbage, red bell pepper, broccoli and green onions, toss to combine
- To the large bowl add the rice noodles, chicken, crushed peanuts and sauce (use half the sauce at first and more to taste)
- Toss everything together
- Garnish individual servings with extra crushed peanuts and sesame seeds
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 426Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 571mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 7gSugar: 7gProtein: 35g
This information comes from online calculators. Although moderncrumb.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.