The most amazing buffalo chicken avocado salad with all the fixings. I’m talking carrots, celery, tomatoes and red onion. I’m totally hooked on this, it’s so good.
Today, we are talking buffalo wings. Specifically we are talking about this insanely delicious juicy buffalo chicken avocado salad, loaded with cool and crunchy vegetables.
My dear friends, sometimes you just have a craving for buffalo chicken wings. I like to think I am a connoisseur of wings. Sweet, spicy, hot, even hotter, dragon breathing hot!! I will eat them all.
One time we ordered wings at this new place and we were warned they’d be hot (aka hotter than fire kill your taste buds type of business). We declined all warnings, dug in, and sweat like none other eating these things. I mean, they were like bundles of pure fire. I was crying.
At the time I was still working as a dental hygienist, so I brought back the extra in a takeout box, labeled it “mild wings” and left them in the break room.
I seriously can’t stop laughing when I think of that. Good prank.
If you couldn’t tell, I love me some wings.
Sweet cookies is this salad amazing. Not only is it good fresh, but it’s good leftover after it’s gotten all chilled in the fridge. The chicken is spicy and juicy and cut up into bit sizes makes eating it in a salad a breeze. No cutting required, just full on, digging in!
What buffalo chicken avocado salad would be complete without it’s amigos? It wouldn’t. You will recognize all your favorite wing pairings. Those favorite vegetables you need to eat between bites so your mouth gets a heat break.
I’m talking carrots, celery, tomatoes and avocado (there’s some lettuce and red onion in there too)!
I have the best mandolin and it has a special blade that does crinkle cut, if you have kids they will love that fun shape!
It may be a little spicy for kids so my suggestion is to leave some plain chicken without sauce for them, just in case.
So I was also really excited to try out my new avocado peeler. It. Is. Awesome. And I definitely sang the guacamole song. If you’ve never heard the guacamole song you are missing out, maybe not, it tends to stick haha.
Buffalo Chicken Avocado Salad
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder divided 1/4 tsp and 1/2 tsp
- 2-3 cups of chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado pitted and chopped
- 3 vine ripe tomatoes cut into eighths
- 1/2 red onion sliced thinly
- 3 carrots sliced
- 3 celery stalks sliced
- 1/2 c franks red hot sauce
- 2 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Season the chicken with the salt, pepper and 1/4 tsp garlic powder. Sear both sides of the chicken for 2-3 minutes in a heated cast iron skillet drizzled with avocado oil.
- Cover the skillet with tin foil, transfer it to the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Prep all the vegetables while the chicken cooks, putting everything into a large bowl
- Carefully, using oven mitts, pull the skillet from the oven and transfer the chicken to a cutting board.
- Let the chicken rest 10 minutes before cutting in to it (or else the juice will all run out and the chicken will get dry)
- Heat a pot on low and add the franks hot sauce, butter and 1/2 tsp garlic powder, stir it around and keep warm.
- Chop up the chicken into bite size pieces and toss it around in the sauce, coating it (don’t forget to leave some un-sauced for kids who don’t like spicy sauce)
- Scoop the vegetables into a bowl, top it with the buffalo chicken and a drizzle of dressing