The best one bowl dinner! Greek chicken and rice bowls is the most refreshing, light, summer dinner. Filled with brown rice, tender greek chicken and the most insane avocado, cucumber, feta mixture on top.
This recipe for greek chicken all starts with some perfectly steamed and salted brown rice. Brown rice is a good choice for a rice bowl type of dinner because it’s not sticky, it also has the best earthy taste.
Do you like brown rice? It takes twice as long as white rice but can be so worth it.
Followed by chicken thighs that marinated in olive oil and greek seasoning. YES a pre done bottle of greek seasoning, because we don’t need to fuss with 10 seasonings today.
So I snagged an already mixed one; just look for greek seasoning at your grocery store.
Finally it’s topped with the most DELICIOUS avocado dip. Awhile ago my friend brought over the yummiest avocado dip for game night (yeah that’s a thing) and it was so good, I instantly thought it would be awesome on top of some rice and chicken.
I added my spin on it for this greek chicken and rice, like the English cucumbers and lemon juice.
Gotta have that greek vibe going.
So this makes enough that you can put some on top of your chicken bowl and have some on the side for chips.
Greek Chicken Marinade
To keep things super simple use a greek seasoning. That’s all it’s called at the grocery store, “greek seasoning”. And of course you can mix up your own but why create more work?
But, if you want to make this and don’t have green seasoning on hand here are some spices you can mix together to get something similar (this is what was listed on the back of my seasoning jar).
And just add an equal amount of each.
- black pepper
- garlic powder
- onion powder
What Is Greek Chicken?
Greek chicken is literally just chicken marinated in greek spices. There are a lot of variations, like you could add yogurt and make something a little different.
How Much Brown Rice to Water Ratio?
The water to rice ration. Isn’t that always tricky? Sometimes its too dry, sometimes it’s too sticky.
For brown rice I have found (and I’m pretty sure the instructions say) that it’s a higher water amount to brown rice amount. So if it’s 1 cup brown rice then you’ll want to use 2 cups of water. And depending, you might have to add a little more.
My best suggestion is to not open the lid while it cooks a million times. It lets all the steam out and since you cook rice on low, you really need that steam.
So in case you are worried there’s a hot mess of burnt rice going on, leave the lid on.
Also, salt your water when you cook the brown rice.
How to keep avocado from browning
My favorite hack to keep avocado from turning brown is putting the pit back in with the avocado before you serve it. Simple set it in the avocado after you have cut it up or mashed it up and it will stay green.
Also, you can squeeze lemon juice on the avocado. This helps the avocado from going brown!
More Chicken and Rice Dinners
- One Pot Lemon Chicken and Rice
- Spicy Korean Chicken and Rice Bowls
- One Pan Extra Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Risotto
- Skinny Orange Chicken
- One Pan Buttermilk Chicken Risotto
Make sure to follow the Modern Crumb Board on Pinterest for lots of yummy meal inspiration! And subscribe to the newsletter, below, to get updates when new recipes post.
Greek Chicken and Brown Rice Bowls With Avocado, Cucumber and Feta
- 1 lb chicken breast
- olive oil
- 1 tsp greek seasoning
- 1 c brown rice
- 2 c water
- 2 avocados pit removed and diced in large chunks
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 4 oz feta cheese
- 1/4 c red onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 English cucumber skin on, quartered
- Parsley a handful chopped up
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinaigrette
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- In a shallow bowl add the chicken thighs
- Drizzle with olive oil and 1 tsp greek seasoning
- Coat the chicken well, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (all day works too if you are prepping in the AM)
- About 45 minutes before you want to eat you’ll need to start the brown rice
- Add 1 cup dry brown rice to a pot with 2 cups water and a few pinches of salt
- Bring this to a boil, cover, then reduce heat to low
- The rice will cook about 40 minutes – once the liquid is gone its done and you can turn the heat off until its time to serve
- Grab a large bowl and add to it the (add avocado last!) cherry tomato halves, feta cheese, diced red onion, minced garlic, cucumbers, chopped parsley, olive oil, red wine vinaigrette, lemon juice, salt and pepper
- Mix this all together and add the avocado last, gently combining (if you plan to use this later or if you prepped it in the AM you can put the avocado pits back in the bowl and cover with plastic wrap for later – this stops the browning process)
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat
- Cook the chicken thighs until they are cooked throughout, transfer to a cutting board – rough chop after it has sat for a few minutes
- To a bowl add the brown rice, chopped chicken and the avocado mixture