You are going to love this easy recipe for BBQ chicken pizza! Soft pillowy pizza dough with the most insanely good mixture of BBQ sauce, chicken, cheeses, onion and cilantro. It's putting cheese pizza to shame.
This recipe was originally published on August 3, 2017.
Pizza is my favorite food, is it yours? This BBQ chicken pizza recipe is the best! A layer of your favorite BBQ sauce, topped with cheddar and mozzarella cheese, chopped up chicken and red onions! Yummy! The cilantro is optional, if you don't like it - leave it off.
My husband and I have been making homemade pizza for so many years, it's just second nature by now when it comes to whipping up a pie. Pizza pie, that is.
And when I say my husband and I, I mean me (haha), if you asked him what's the first step I think he'd say "eat the pizza".
And making pizza doesn't have to be hard, it's actually really easy. You can opt for a store bought dough or you can make your own homemade dough. This dough is amazing!
I'm just gonna say it, California Pizza Kitchen has nothing on this BBQ chicken pizza. And while we are on the subject of 'better than', it shuts down Papa John's and every other chain restaurant too.
What Toppings are on a Homemade BBQ Chicken Pizza?
The ingredients for BBQ chicken pizza are pretty basic. You only need a handful of things.
- Chicken - I prefer chicken breast, but it really doesn't matter what you choose. You could even use leftover rotisserie chicken.
- Pizza Dough - Homemade or store bought, either will do the trick
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese - The mixture of both mozzarella and cheddar cheese are crucial to the perfect pizza iconic taste
- a great BBQ chicken pizza should be made with mozzarella and cheddar cheese, both shredded
- BBQ Sauce - Whatever your favorite is, go for it, but my personal preference is a traditional sauce that's not too sweet and not too smoky
- and instead of using a red pizza sauce, you use bbq sauce as your base
- Red Onions - Add the the whole flavor and they look so pretty!
- Cilantro - You can take or leave the cilantro, only half of my household likes it so I just toss it on half
How To Make Pizza Dough For BBQ Chicken Pizza
For this homemade pizza dough recipe all you need is one hour.
- Combine warm water with a pinch of sugar and yeast, let it poof up
- Stir it together with flour, salt and olive oil
- Mix together until a smooth dough forms
- Rest in a bowl, covered with a towel, until it doubles
- my tip is to warm your oven a bit, turn it off and let the pizza dough rise in there, it speeds up the entire process
- This recipe makes two pizza dough balls, you can use both or freeze one for later
Soft puffy edges and a perfect base. It holds all those delicious BBQ chicken toppings perfectly.
Over the years we've tested out all sorts of variations of toppings but BBQ chicken is one of my families all time favorites.
After years of making it I'd like to think I've perfected this recipe too.
I top it with cilantro after it's cooked in the oven, I like that refreshing herb taste, it really kicks the flavor profile up a notch, or ten.
BBQ Chicken Pizza FAQ
A homemade bbq chicken pizza is way healthier than store bought.
You'll use BBQ sauce for the base of the pizza. You can use as much or as little. You don't use any tomato sauce on a BBQ chicken pizza.
BBQ sauce, chopped up chicken, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, red onion and cilantro (optionally).
- Hawaiian Pizza With Olive Oil Base - Pineapple has a place on pizza and it's definitely this one!
- Green Vegetable Pesto Garden Party Pizza - This pizza has lots of green vegetables on it, like broccoli, zucchini, basil and pesto.
- Kosmic Karma Mellow Mushroom Pizza Copycat - Sliced tomatoes and and a pesto swirl on top, it's just like the original
- Caesar Salad Pizza - If you love a crispy and refreshing caesar salad, then this is the pizza for you
- Pacific Rim Mellow Mushroom Pizza Copycat - Ham, pineapple, jalapeños and onions, yum, sweet and spicy.
- 1 chicken breast, seasoned with salt and pepper, cooked and chopped into small cubes
- 1 ball of pizza dough, recipe link below
- 1/2 c mozzarella
- 1/2 c extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 c BBQ sauce of choice
- 1/4 red onion sliced thinly
- handful of cilantro chopped
- Start by cooking your chicken breast if you don't have some precooked
- Cook the chicken for 25 minutes in the oven, on a baking sheet, at 400 degrees
- Chop up the chicken and toss it with bbq sauce
- Preheat oven to 475
- Sprinkle a pizza peel with flour, semolina, or corn meal
- Stretch out the pizza dough onto the pizza peel
- Top with bbq sauce and a sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Follow it with the mozzarella and cheddar cheese, bbq chicken and red onion and a pinch of salt and pepper
- Launch the pizza onto your pizza stone
- Cook for about 10 minutes
- Pull from the oven
- Let it cool a few minutes before sprinkling on the chopped cilantro
- Cut into 1/8ths and serve!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 175Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 555mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 10g
This information comes from online calculators. Although moderncrumb.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.
Make sure to follow the Modern Crumb Board on Pinterest for lots of yummy meal inspiration! And subscribe to the newsletter, below, to get updates when new recipes post.