Check out this Mellow Mushroom copycat pizza, the Kosmic Karma. Topped with red sauce, sun dried tomatoes, feta, mozzarella, tomatoes, spinach and pesto!
And if you are a Mellow Mushroom fan then you'll also love these copycat Mellow Mushroom pretzels!
This recipe was originally published on 08/17/2018.
Kosmic Karma pizza is a mashup of all your favorite things you despised as a child but totally adore as an adult.
Spinach, feta, sun-dried tomatoes and pesto makeup this utterly scrumptious and savory pizza pie! It puts a smile on my face to even think about this pizza, it's officially claimed the title as one of my top 5 favorites.
But this particular gem is a copycat of the Kosmic Karma from Mellow Mushroom and I dare say I've hit the nail on the head because it may ever be better than theirs. Especially using the my version of the dough.
I am pretty fond of the pacific rim copycat pizza as well.
If you haven't figured it out by now, pizza is my all time favorite thing! The possibilities are endless, you can throw anything you want on a pizza and golly gee wiz, it's always good.
If you'd like to make your own pizza sauce it couldn't be any easier!
All you need is a can of crushed tomatoes, olive oil, salt, garlic, oregano, basil and crushed red pepper.
Mix everything together and voila, pizza sauce. The longer it sits the better it tastes.
When it comes to putting sauce on a pizza, less is more, since sauce is wet it adds a lot of moisture on top of the pizza dough. So spread just enough on your dough.
Mellow Mushroom Pizza Dough
But I am so excited to actually have this dough for it because now it tastes even more like the original! The secret is molasses and honey in the dough.
Mellow Mushroom dough has a very distinct flavor and smell.
And it's brushed with garlic butter and parmesan cheese straight out of the oven.
How To Make Kosmic Karma Pizza
It starts with a base of red sauce (remember less is more) and then add spinach and sun-dried tomatoes.
After your base is set up lay down your cheeses.
If not one cheese would be amazing this has two cheeses, mozzarella and feta for extra savory salty goodness.
Then add some thinly sliced tomatoes on top of the cheese and in the oven it goes!
The pesto goes on last and it gets warmed up by the hot pizza. To get a fancy swirl you'll need to use a squeeze bottle or you can just drizzle it on with a spoon.
Try to get your oven as hot as possible.
I cooked this pizza on a baking steel, starting on broil for 2 minutes then switching to 550 degrees for the remaining time until the cheese was bubbling and the edges browned.
Not everyone has a steel so if you preheat your oven to 500 that will be good for other methods.
Try this Kosmic Karma mellow mushroom copycat pizza out and let me know if it was love at first bite! (punny).
- 1 dough ball of Mellow Mushroom copycat dough*, see notes for recipe link
- 3 oz fresh spinach, or ¼ c frozen spinach, steamed and all liquid squeezed out
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 to mato, sliced thinly
- ½ c feta cheese
- 1 ½ c mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 oz pesto
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Parmesan cheese
- Optional: corn meal or semolina - if using a pizza peel to transfer your pizza on to a baking stone
Homemade Red Pizza Sauce
- 14 oz crushed tomato
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- ⅛ tsp red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 500
- If using the homemade sauce recipe, prepare it now by stirring everything together in a bowl and let sit on the counter while you make the pizza
- Prepare your pizza dough (optionally can use store bought dough)
- If using a pizza stone or baking steel, sprinkle corn meal or semolina flour on your pizza peel
- Stretch the dough out, making sure to leave a thick outer crust
- Spoon over some pizza sauce, keeping away from the edges
- Add the chopped spinach, half of the feta, sun-dried tomatoes, pinch of salt and pepper, mozzarella cheese, the rest of the feta cheese, sliced tomatoes
- Place your pizza in the oven
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the pizza is bubbling and the crust is golden
- Combine the melted butter and garlic
- Remove the pizza from the oven and immediately brush the crust with the melted garlic butter and sprinkled with parmesan cheese
- Drizzle on your pesto using a squeeze bottle or just a spoon
- This dough recipe is for both the Mellow Mushroom copycat pretzels and pizza dough, to use it for pizza dough increase the water to a total of 1 ¼ c
- To get char marks on your pizza like the picture you can broil the pizza for the first 2-3 minutes (optional)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 640Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 1150mgCarbohydrates: 72gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 17g
This information comes from online calculators. Although moderncrumb.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.