Soft pillowy pizza dough with the most insanely good mixture of BBQ sauce, chicken, cheeses, onion and cilantro. It’s putting cheese pizza to shame. You are going to love this recipe for BBQ chicken pizza!
BBQ Chicken Pizza
Pizza is my favorite food, is it yours? This BBQ chicken pizza recipe is the best! My husband and I have been making homemade pizza for so many years, it’s just second nature by now when it comes to whipping up a pie.
Pizza pie, that is.
And when I say my husband and I, I mean me (haha), if you asked him what’s the first step I think he’d say “eat the pizza”.
It’s easier than you think to make a homemade bbq chicken pizza and you always have fresh out of the oven pizza and it’s a healthier alternative to store bought or delivery pizza.
What are the BBQ Chicken Pizza Toppings?
The ingredients are pretty basic. You only need a handful of things.
- Chicken – I prefer chicken breast, but it really doesn’t matter what you choose. You could even use leftover rotisserie chicken.
- Pizza Dough – Homemade or store bought, either will do the trick
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese – The mixture of both mozzarella and cheddar are crucial. All great BBQ chicken pizzas are made this way or at least should be. If you skip out on mixing the two cheeses you won’t get that iconic flavor.
- BBQ Sauce – Whatever your favorite is, go for it, but my personal preference is a traditional sauce that’s not too sweet and not too smoky
- Red Onions – Add the the whole flavor and they look so pretty!
- Cilantro – You can take or leave the cilantro, only half of my household likes it so I just toss it on half
Over the years we’ve tested out all sorts of variations of toppings but BBQ chicken is one of my families all time favorites. After years of making it I’d like to think I’ve perfected this recipe too. I top it with cilantro after it’s cooked in the oven, I like that refreshing herb taste, it really kicks the flavor profile up a notch, or ten. Check it out below.
If you Love Homemade Pizza, Check out These other Recipes
- Hawaiian Pizza With Olive Oil Base – Pineapple has a place on pizza and it’s definitely this one!
- Green Vegetable Pesto Garden Party Pizza – This pizza has lots of green vegetables on it, like broccoli, zucchini, basil and pesto.
- Kosmic Karma Mellow Mushroom Pizza Copycat – Sliced tomatoes and and a pesto swirl on top, it’s just like the original
- Caesar Salad Pizza – If you love a crispy and refreshing caesar salad, then this is the pizza for you
- Pacific Rim Mellow Mushroom Pizza Copycat – Ham, pineapple, jalapeños and onions, yum, sweet and spicy.
Make sure to follow the Modern Crumb Board on Pinterest for lots of yummy meal inspiration! And subscribe to the newsletter, below, to get updates when new recipes post.
Bomb BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 1 chicken breast seasoned with s + p, cooked and chopped into small cubes
- 1 ball of pizza dough
- 1/2 c mozzarella
- 1/2 c extra sharp cheddar cheese
- BBQ sauce of choice
- 1/4 red onion sliced thinly
- handful of cilantro chopped
- Start by cooking your chicken breast if you don't have some precooked
- Cook the chicken for 20 minutes at 400 degrees
- Chop up the chicken and toss it in some bbq sauce
- Preheat oven to 475
- Sprinkle a pizza peel with flour, semolina, or corn meal
- Stretch out the pizza dough onto the pizza peel
- Top with bbq sauce and a sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Follow it with the mozzarella and cheddar cheese, bbq chicken and red onion and a pinch of salt and pepper
- Launch the pizza onto your pizza stone
- Cook for about 10 minutes
- Pull from the oven
- Let it cool a few minutes before sprinkling on the chopped cilantro
- Cut into 1/8ths and serve!