These hot cocoa cookie bars are made with three kinds of chocolate! Semi-sweet chocolate, milk chocolate and white chocolate. And they wouldn't be complete without mini marshmallows and festive Christmas sprinkles.
Today is day 9 of the '12 days of Christmas cookies' here on Modern Crumb!
Raise your hand if you love hot cocoa in the winter! These triple chocolate hot cocoa cookie bars are so chocolatey, with gooey mini marshmallows throughout and topped with lots of fun red and green Christmas sprinkles!
There are two types of people. The whipped cream type of people and the mini marshmallows type of people.
Which are you? I’m a mini marshmallow kind of girl. And whenever I would gobble them up, just add a few more on top.
I love how squishy the heat of the hot cocoa would make them -- these cookies are the same, they get so gooey in the oven.
Because of how gooey they get, that's why they are cookie bars and not regular cookies. Just like making these s'mores cookie bars.
Using three kinds of chocolate chips gives these cookies lots and lots of chocolate flavor.
These are my son's favorite Christmas cookie!
Hot Cocoa Cookie Bars Tips
Tip #1. Use parchment paper to line your square baking pan. The parchment paper will ensure that the cookie bars come out easily, with no sticking.
Tip #2. Room temperature eggs and butter will give you a nice creamy, smooth cookie dough. It's important to always start with ingredients that are the same temperature.
Tip #3. Use mini marshmallows and not regular size. If you try to chop up large marshmallows it will be a sticky mess.
Tip #4. Don't be afraid to under bake them slightly. Over baking cookie bars will give you dry cookies later on. Restaurants always under bake cookies, that's why they are so chewy and delicious.
- Can you freeze hot cocoa cookie bars? Yes. The sooner you freeze them after making them, like the same day, the better they will taste when they come out.
- How do I reheat frozen hot cocoa cookies? You can leave them on the counter to thaw. Alternatively you can put some in the microwave, in small increments heat it until they have warmed up.
- Can I use regular size marshmallows? I wouldn't. It's a mess to try and chop up regular size marshmallows to make a mini size, even in a bing, this is really a mess.
- I don't have all type of chocolate chips, can I still make these? Of course you can, even if you are missing one or even two varieties of chocolate they will still turn out delicious.
- Is there actual hot chocolate in the cookies? No, these are made without any packages of hot cocoa.
12 Days of Christmas Cookies Recipes
- Christmas Peanut Butter Blossoms
- The Best Pecan Sandies Cookies
- Double Chocolate Peppermint Bark Cookies
- Brown Sugar Walnut Rugelach Cookies
- Christmas Butter Cookies (Tin Can Cookies)
- Christmas Peanut Butter Cookie Bars
- Raspberry Jam Thumbprints
- Christmas Monster Cookies
- Cream Cheese Jam Pinwheel Cookies
- Christmas Snickerdoodles Cookies
- Cranberry Cheesecake White Chocolate Cookies
- ½ c butter, softened
- ½ c brown sugar
- ¼ c white sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 ¼ c flour
- ⅓ c unsweetened baking cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ c semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ c milk chocolate chips
- ¼ c white chocolate chips
- ½ c mini marshmallows
- Christmas themed sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cream together butter, white sugar and brown sugar 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy
- Mix in the vanilla
- Add the whole egg and egg yolk, combine completely on low speed
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda
- Pour into the wet ingredient, mix until just combined and there are no white flour streaks left
- Stir in the semi sweet chocolate chips, milk chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and mini marshmallows
- Line an 8x8 square baking pan with parchment paper
- Add the cookie dough to the pan, using your hands to press it down and in all the corners, so it’s even
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Take them out of the oven and immediately sprinkle on the Christmas sprinkles
- Let cool 30 minutes before cutting into squares
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 209Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 168mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 3g
This information comes from online calculators. Although moderncrumb.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.