These skinny bang bang shrimp tacos are an easy 30 minute weeknight dinner. Bang bang sauce is a creamy, spicy sauce and we're making it 'skinny' using greek yogurt as the main ingredient. Serve the tacos with shredded cabbage, green onions, cilantro and lots of lime wedges.
If this is your first time making bang bang shrimp tacos, I'll just start by saying you're welcome.
You're welcome for introducing you to such a delicious dish, you're welcome for how insanely easy that they are to prepare and you're welcome for the restaurant quality recipe.
These tacos taste like they came straight out of a restaurant. They are so good!
You can use whatever type of shrimp you can get your hands on. It doesn't need to be super fancy fresh caught from a mile down your house. They turn out great with fresh shrimp, frozen to thawed shrimp, you name it.
The only thing you don't want to use is pre-cooked shrimp, you do want to use raw shrimp. If you are interested in the pasta version I have a recipe for bang bang shrimp pasta as well!
For these bang bang shrimp tacos you only need a handful of ingredients. For cooking the shrimp here's what you'll need.
- large shrimp - necessary to get raw shrimp
- sunflower oil - or any other high heat oil, you don't want the oil burning and smoking a bunch
- salt, pepper and paprika - seasonings for the shrimp
- minced garlic
To make the bang bang sauce here's what you'll need.
- greek yogurt
- sambal olek - this is a chili sauce with other ingredients added in
- lemon juice
- sriracha - another type of chili sauce
For the tacos and garnishes here's what you'll need:
- corn tortillas
- limes - cut into wedges
- green onions
Since the shrimp cook so fast it's a good idea to prep all the ingredients ahead of cooking the shrimp.
Shred the cabbage and chop up the green onions and cilantro. You may want to cook the corn tortillas on a skillet for extra flavor just like I do in this recipe for blackened cod fish tacos.
Stir together the greek yogurt, sambal olek, lemon juice and sriracha. There is no need to put it back in the refrigerator.
Make sure the shrimp are deveined, clean and wash thoroughly then dry on paper towels. Sprinkle the shrimp with salt, pepper and paprika. Toss it together to coat evenly.
Heat a big pan over medium heat with the oil in it, then lay the shrimp in the pan so they aren't touching. Your pan should be hot enough so once the shrimp hit the pan it starts sizzling. Cook them for 2 minutes then turn and cook an additional 2 minutes or until they are no longer pink.
Stir in the butter and garlic. Turn the heat off and add in half to three quarters of the bang bang sauce. Fill a corn tortilla with shredded cabbage, two shrimp, cilantro, green onions and drizzle on some extra bang bang sauce.
More Taco Recipes
- Instant Pot Barbacoa Tacos
- Blackened Cod Fish Tacos
- Chicken Street Tacos
- Instant Pot Chicken Tinga Tacos
- Baked Chicken Taquitos
- 1 1/2 lb large shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil (or another high heat oil)
- kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Green onions, diced
- Cabbage, sliced
- Cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Corn tortillas
- 7 oz plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp sambal olek
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp sriracha
- Prepare the vegetables first
- Mix together the Greek yogurt, sambal, lemon juice and sriracha
- Make sure the shrimp is cleaned and deveined first, rinse them with water and lay flat on paper towels to dry
- Sprinkle salt, pepper and paprika over the shrimp
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and drizzle with oil
- Add the shrimp and cook 2 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink
- Stir in 1 tbsp butter and the minced garlic
- Turn the heat off, wait a few minutes then stir in 3/4 of the bang bang sauce, reserve the rest for the tacos
- To serve, put shredded cabbage on a tortilla, then 2 pieces of shrimp, cilantro, green onions and some lime wedges on the side
- Use extra bang bang sauce to top the tacos
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 216Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 246mgSodium: 1317mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 30g
This information comes from online calculators. Although moderncrumb.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.