Are you ready for the side dish of all side dishes? All of your fall and winter dinners will be complete when you serve them with this mac and cheese. A four cheese, super creamy, homemade baked mac and cheese. Thanks to sharp cheddar, monterey jack, parmigiano and mozzarella I am deeming this the best baked mac and cheese in the world.
For the upcoming holidays I think this is a must have recipe to pair with all the festive dinner recipes.
Here's what you can expect with this creamy baked mac and cheese.
First of all, when you scoop it out of the pan, be prepared for a cheesy gooey mess underneath the baked top. No one, not anyone, want's dry mac and cheese.
Very gooey, very cheesy, very delightful.
Second of all, it turns out the same every time. I can't count how many times I've made this, so it's been thoroughly tested and enjoyed for years.
And let's get a few things straight. There is no velveeta in this recipe. And we'll be making it without eggs and no breadcrumbs
All that luscious, smooth, creamy goodness you are witnessing in these photos is extra sharp cheddar cheese, monterey jack cheese, mozzarella cheese and parmigiano reggiano cheese.
Just a simple mac and cheese recipe that anyone can make.
Ingredients For Baked Mac and Cheese
Each and every cheese in this recipe was very thought out and researched. Not really. Every cheese in this recipe is actually all the cheese I had in my cheese drawer (what else is the small drawer for, right?) the first time I made this.
Might I add it was not just for my family but in-laws as well. They are the toughest critics. Everyone loved it and it became a must make.
Heres the rundown of what you'll need.
- dry pasta noodles - I usually go for an elbow noodle because I like how the cheese sauce gets stuck up inside of the noodle shape, but you can use whatever you have on hand
- butter - the start of the roux
- flour - this is necessary to make the roux and help thicken up the mac and cheese
- milk - makes up the cheese sauce
- extra sharp cheddar - majority of the mac and cheese flavor
- monterey jack - for extra gooey mac and cheese you need monterey jack
- parmigiano reggiano - a solid cheese choice, a bit nutty and lots of flavor
- mozzarella cheese - makes it gooey also
- salt - enhances the flavors
- onion powder - makes it taste very homemade, less like you got it from a store
- ground mustard - same for the ground mustard, more of a homemade mom made this taste
- hot sauce - my secret ingredient
- worcestershire sauce - another secret ingredient
How To Make Baked Mac and Cheese
An easy to follow visual on how to make baked mac and cheese. Most of the work is stirring the ingredients together to create the smooth creamy cheese sauce.
Baked Mac and Cheese FAQ
- What oven temperature should I use? 425 degree oven. Keep in mind this only baked for 15-25 minutes. 25 minutes is for more of a crust on top.
- Can you make baked mac and cheese without eggs? Yes! This is a no egg recipe.
- How to keep it from drying out? The best way to avoid this, is to not over bake it from the get go. If you cooked it a bit too long, don't fret, add a splash of milk and mix it up.
- Do you cover baked mac and cheese with foil? I do not, I bake it right in the skillet, uncovered so it develops a bit of crust on top.
- How do you get the sauce so smooth? Making sure your roux is very smooth, in my opinion, is the key. Constant, fast whisking helps you with a smooth roux. While adding the liquid, don't just dump it all in at once, slowly pour it in gradually.
Dinner Recipes To Try
- Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup - a family favorite
- Loaded Baked Potato Chowder - just like eating a baked potato with all the fixings
- Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup - one bowl is never enough
- World's Best Beef Stroganoff - a Modern Crumb most popular
- Sheet Pan Roasted Chicken Thighs and Root Vegetables - perfect healthy and easy winter dinner
- 10 oz dry pasta noodles
- 4 tbsp butter
- 5 tbsp flour
- 2 c milk
- 6 oz extra sharp cheddar, grated
- 4 oz monterey jack, grated
- 1/4 c parmesan cheese, fresh grated from a block
- 1/4 c mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 10 dashes hot sauce
- 2 dashes Worcestershire
- Preheat oven to 425
- Cook the pasta per package instructions
- Drain the pasta and set aside
- Heat a skillet over med/low heat
- Melt the butter in the skillet and add the flour, use a whisk to stir it for 2 minutes
- Add the milk to the skillet in a steady stream, while whisking vigorously, do not stop whisking
- This step is crucial for a smooth and creamy mac and cheese
- It will thicken very fast, just keep whisking
- Add in all the grated cheese, salt, ground mustard and onion powder
- Once the cheese has melted add the hot sauce and Worcestershire
- Add the cooked pasta to the cheese mixture, stirring
- Put the skillet in the oven and bake for 15-25 minutes (15 minutes for less of a crust on top, 25 for more crust)
- Remove from the oven, serve
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 254Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 433mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 12g
This information comes from online calculators. Although moderncrumb.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.
Did you make this recipe? Please leave your review in the comments below!