Quick and easy sheet pan roasted chicken thighs and winter root vegetables will become a weekly dinner staple in your house, it’s such a crowd pleaser.
Sheet pan chicken thighs and root vegetables!
Hands down the best sheet pan meal, ever, in the world.
To be honest, I’m really not a fan of sheet pan meals.
There I said. Cats out of the bag. I’m prepared to have made some enemies with that sentence. But let’s just remain friends, okay??
Something is always undercooked, or overcooked and usually it’s a bit underwhelming. But this is seriously the sheet pan meal that could turn any hater, into a lover.
Not entirely sure what a root vegetable is? A root vegetable is an underground vegetable, so this sheet pan meal consists of carrots, turnips, parsnip, onion, yams and garlic. Plus some Brussels sprouts, which, are not a root vegetable but it add a pretty green and the perfect fall flavor.
So maybe this should be “roasted chicken thighs, root vegetables and friend” haha.
This sheet pan meal is a bit different than the traditional dump and bake. There is some prep work, but that’s what makes this so good. Just a little extra effort really transforms this into a special meal.
Also I utilize celery salt. An under used, under appreciated seasoning.
I love celery salt and it gives vegetables the yummiest flavor, bringing out all their deliciousness.
Sheet Pan Roasted Chicken Thighs and Root Vegetables
- 1 lb chicken thighs
- 3 large carrots chopped large on diagonal
- 1 yam cubed
- 2 parsnips chopped
- 1 turnip cubed
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 5 garlic cloves smashed
- 1/2 lb brussels sprouts halved
- fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400
- Parboil all of the vegetables after they’ve been cut up, except for the Brussels sprouts do not boil these, start with the turnip and parsnips so the carrots and yam don’t transfer the orange over to the white vegetables
- Strain the parboiled vegetables
- Toss the root vegetables, garlic and onion in a large bowl with olive oil, celery salt, salt and pepper
- Season the chicken thighs with celery salt and pepper
- Sear each side of the chicken thighs in a pan over high heat for just a minute (chicken thighs are thin don’t overcook them in this step)
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Transfer the chicken thighs and vegetables to the baking sheet
- Throw all the Brussels sprouts in the same bowl as before with a bit more olive oil, celery salt and pepper and some fresh thyme sprigs, toss this and sear them in the pan over high heat until the bottom starts getting crusty
- Transfer the Brussel sprouts to the sheet pan
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes
- During the last couple minutes in the oven, brush on the melted butter