This pasta dish is inspired by the very popular chicken florentine. Orecchiette pasta in a creamy parmesan sauce served with chicken, spinach and tomatoes.
Chicken florentine is a french style dish. It features chicken, spinach and a sauce. Florentine sauce is typically made with wine and cream but for the purposes of making this family friendly we'll be using chicken broth.
And to make it more flavorful, adding parmigiano cheese to the dish.
I love fresh parmigiano reggiano cheese, the stuff you grate yourself, there's just no substitution. Don't be tempted to grab a bottle of the green parmesan, do yourself a favor and splurge on the good stuff.
This is an easy weeknight dinner and is made in just one pan. It will take about 30-45 minutes to make.
A quick rundown of what ingredients are in this recipe. For the full list, amounts and directions, please refer to the recipe card below.
- Chicken Breast
- Italian Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper
- Garlic Cloves
- Chicken Broth
- Roma Tomatoes
- Fresh Basil
- Orecchiette pasta - you could substitute a different type of pasta if you cannot get orecchiette
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Fresh Spinach
- Heavy Cream
- Parmigiana Cheese - opt for the shredded
How To Make
Cut the chicken breast in half so you have four pieces total. Season and cook in the pan for two minutes on each side, then set the chicken aside on a plate.
Add the chopped onions and minced garlic to the pan and saute. Then add in the chicken broth and water and bring to a boil.
Add the tomatoes, basil, pasta noodles and red pepper flakes. Stir this around and add the chicken on top. Cover with a lid.
Remove the lid and take the chicken out. Add in the heavy cream, parmigiano reggiano cheese and the fresh spinach, stirring together. Place the chicken back on top and cover. Simmer an additional 3-5 minutes, or until the spinach has wilted.
More One Pot Dinners
- One Pot Skinny Chicken Parmesan
- 30 Minute Lemon Chicken and Rice
- One Pot Greek Chicken and Rice
- One Pot Meat Lovers Pizza Pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast, filet in half
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 c chicken broth
- 1 c water
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 8 basil leaves, chopped
- 8 oz orecchiette pasta
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach
- ½ c heavy cream
- ½ c parmigiana reggiano cheese, shredded
- Filet each piece of chicken, you will be left with 4 pieces total. Season the front and back of each with the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- In a large saute pan over medium heat add the olive oil. Once hot, place the chicken in the pan and cook for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken to a plate for now.
- To the pan add the diced onion and minced garlic, cook for 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth and water, bring this to a boil. Add in the chopped tomatoes, chopped basil, pasta and red pepper flakes. Place the chicken on top and cover with a tight fitting lid. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Remove the lid and take the chicken off momentarily. Add in the heavy cream, parmigiana cheese and spinach. Stir together and place the chicken back on top. Cover and simmer and additional 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with more fresh basil and parmigiana cheese on top.
For a brighter taste, try adding a squeeze of lemon juice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 384Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 114mgSodium: 786mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 35g
This information comes from online calculators. Although moderncrumb.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.