This recipe for cookie bars is the perfect answer to your rocky road craving! With all of your favorite rocky road flavors, chocolate chips, marshmallows and almonds.
Any kind of bar dessert is such a breeze to make because you just dump all the cookie dough into a pan. You don’t have to be a baking guru to get it right.
And if you love rocky road ice cream (like my husband) then you will adore these rocky road cookie bars.
Marshmallows puff and spread when you bake them in the oven (makes sense). So using them in a bar cookie always gives the best result. Whereas a regular scooped cookie, the marshmallow just oozes everywhere and then get’s crispy as it sticks to the pan.
For these bar cookies, the marshmallow is all ooey gooey delicious. You will notice, that the base of the batter is not a chocolate base – that’s on purpose.
How To Make Cookie Bars
To make cookie bars you prepare the cookie dough exactly how you would a drop cookie.
Instead of dropping them by rounded spoonfuls on a baking sheet you use your hands to press the cookie dough into a square brownie pan lined with parchment paper.
The parchment paper helps so that they come out of the pan super easy!
When you use a baking pan like this, you do increase the baking time.
And once they are out of the oven, you’ll want to wait about 30 minutes before cutting in to them, or else they will fall apart.
What’s Inside Rocky Road Cookie Bars?
Here’s everything you’ll need to make this yummy dessert!
- butter – the base of any good cookie recipe, I like to use salted butter in my recipes
- sugar – regular white sugar or cane sugar
- brown sugar – light brown sugar preferably, brown sugar helps to make the cookie bars chewy
- vanilla – for delicious flavor
- egg – as a binder
- flour – regular all-purpose flour
- baking soda – to help the cookie bars rise
- salt – flavor enhancer
- chopped almonds – rocky road staple item!
- mini marshmallows – another rocky road must have
- milk chocolate chips – I use milk chocolate chips but feel free to mix it up with milk chocolate or semi-sweet
More Cookie Recipes To Try
- Extra Soft and Chewy Monster Cookies – full of oats, creamy peanut butter, chocolate chips and extra m&m’s
- S’mores Cookies – when you can’t make real life s’mores over a bonfire this is the next best thing!
- Chewy Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars – if you love peanut butter these are filled with it, creamy peanut butter and peanut butter chips
- Mad Scientist M&M’s Oreo Cookie Bars – there are so many treats in these cookie bars, mms, oreo’s and marshmallows
- Caramel Apple White Chocolate Blondies – reminiscent of a fall favorite treat, the caramel apple
And subscribe to the newsletter, below, to get updates when new recipes post.
Rocky Road Cookie Bars
- 1/2 c butter room temp
- 1/2 c white sugar
- 1/2 brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg room temp
- 1 1/2 c flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 c chopped almonds
- 1/2 c mini marshmallows
- 1/2 c milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350
- On high speed beat together the butter, white sugar and brown sugar until its creamy and paler in color, about 3-4 minutes
- Add the vanilla, mix
- Add the egg, combine fully
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt
- Add this to the wet ingredients
- Mix on low speed, until almost combined
- Stop the mixer
- Add in the chopped almonds, marshmallows and chocolate chips
- Mix on low until combined
- Line a square baking pan with parchment paper
- Pour in the batter pressing down so its even to all sides
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (20 for chewier, 25 for more solid)
- Pull from the oven, cool the whole pan on a wire rack to allow air flow under the pan, for 30 minutes
- Lift up on the parchment paper, set this back on the wire rack and cool an additional 30 minutes before cutting in to