Look no further for the easiest, best, red potato salad recipe - this is it! This potato salad has so much flavor and texture, thanks to the dill, hardboiled eggs, cucumber, celery and onion.
Have you ever been to a summer BBQ that didn't have potato salad? Nope. Potato salad is a classic staple item you'll always want to have at your party. Not everyone loves potato salad (gasp!) but everyones does love this red potato salad!
I think it's the extra crunch from the cucumbers, celery and onion. It has such good texture. Cucumber is a bit of a different choice for potato salad but I promise you'll love it.
You do need to plan ahead just a bit, for the absolute best taste, the potato salad needs to chill in the fridge for 2 hours. Preferably overnight!
And if you are feeding a really large crowd you can easily double or triple this recipe.
Ingredients In This Red Potato Salad
- Red Potatoes - There are two different size of red potatoes, regular and baby red potatoes. Get the regular size red potatoes
- Hardboiled Eggs - For the perfect hardboiled eggs add the eggs to a pot of water, cover and turn the heat on until it start to boil, then turn the heat off and cook for 10 minutes, then rinse under cool water. The trick for getting the shell off easily is to peel them right away.
- English Cucumber - Opt for an english cucumber because they have less seeds.
- Vidalia Onion - A vidalia onion is sweeter and goes perfectly in this potato salad.
- Celery - The celery adds to most of the crispy crunch.
- Mayo - I'm not crazy about heavy mayo in potato salads, so this recipe only calls for 1/2 cup total.
- Buttermilk - Makes the potato salad creamy.
- Dijon Mustard - Adds a little zest.
- Dill - Dried dill for this recipe.
How To Make Red Potato Salad
The first thing you'll want to do is cook your potatoes and eggs. These will take the longest and while they cook you can chop up the vegetables and making the dressing.
The potatoes will take about 40 minutes total. 30 minutes in boiling water and then 10 minutes steaming with a lid on top. You can peel the skins or leave them on - totally a preference. I peel half of them and leave skins on the rest.
Cut up the potatoes into small cubes and put into a big bowl with the chopped up vegetables. It's best to add the dressing to the potatoes while they are still warm - it soaks up!
For perfect hard boiled eggs fill a pot of water so it covers the tops of the eggs. Cover the pot with a lid and bring the water to a boil, as soon as it does turn the heat off, keep it covered and cook for 10 minutes. Once the time is done then run cool water over the eggs. Peel them right away!
Chop up these up and add them to the potato salad. Mix everything around and let it chill for at least 2 hours in the fridge, however the best taste will be after 24 hours.
What To Serve With Red Potato Salad
You can easily half this recipe to feed just a few people.
I would stick with a variety of waxy potato, waxy potatoes hold their shape when you cook them!
Cover the eggs with water and bring to a boil, immediately turn the heat off and cook for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes is done, rinse the eggs in cool water and peel them right away.
- 8 red potatoes
- 4 eggs, hardboiled
- 1/2 English cucumber, seeds removed, diced
- 1/2 vidalia onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 c mayo
- 1/4 c buttermilk
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Cover the potatoes with water in a pot, bring to a low boil and cook until fork tender (about 30 minutes)
- Drain the water, keep the potatoes in the pot, cover for 10 minutes
- To make the hardboiled eggs; cover the eggs with water and a tight fitting lid, bring to a boil then turn the heat off and sit for 10 minutes. Run cool water over the eggs and peel them immediately.
- To make the potato salad dressing whisk together the mayo, buttermilk, dijon mustard, dried dill, salt and pepper
- Peel the skins off of half the potatoes
- Dice into bite sized pieces and put into a large bowl
- Add in the cucumber, onion, celery, egg and pour on the dressing
- Mix everything together and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 15 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 219Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 191mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 6g
This information comes from online calculators. Although moderncrumb.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.