My family goes nuts over this homemade lasagna. It's been made the same way for years and years. This amazing dinner is three layers of lasagna noodles, meat sauce and cheeses. Feel free to double the recipe to eat one now and freeze another for later!
This recipe was first published on 12/9/2021.
This homemade lasagna is so good!! I bet everyone says that about theirs, but I mean it. It has three layers of lasagna noodles, meat sauce, ricotta and mozzarella cheese. A little trick is to start your first layer out heaviest on the ingredients and slowly decrease until you get to the top layer.
I've never met a person who doesn't love lasagna! I think it's just one of those meals that everyone can agree on. When I was little I loved watching Garfield cartoons, and we all know his favorite food was lasagna.
Whenever I'm making lasagna and my kids ask what's for dinner, when I tell them they always say "Garfield's favorite dinner!".
If you are looking for a way to get more vegetables into your diet you can always add them in. Spinach is a great addition to lasagna.
An overview of the ingredients you will need, make sure to read the recipe card for amounts and instructions.
- ground beef
- yellow onion
- fresh garlic cloves
- dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes
- lasagna noodles
- mozzarella cheese
How To Make Lasagna
Making lasagna is easiest when you multitask in the kitchen.
As the water comes to a boil and you cook the noodles you want to be working on other things, like browning the ground beef and grating the cheese.
Meat sauce. Brown the ground beef, drain off the grease then add in the onions and garlic. No need to dirty excess pans when everything can go in one.
To the meat mixture add in the marinara sauce and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
Ricotta. The ricotta mixture is made with one egg, salt, pepper and some oregano. Stir this together until it's combined
To layer the lasagna grab a 9x13 baking dish. Ladle some of the meat sauce in the bottom followed by 5 lasagna noodles, overlapping each one.
Spread out ⅓ of the ricotta, ⅓ of the meat sauce and ⅓ of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat for a total of 3 layers.
Bake the lasagna covered with foil for 35 minutes and uncovered for the last 10 so the top can get a bit golden.
It's always best to let your lasagna sit for 15 minutes before cutting in to it. All of the ingredients need some time to sit and come together, otherwise if you cut into it right away it can be a sloppy mess.
Store your lasagna covered with plastic wrap in the fridge. Lasagna cannot sit out overnight, it will go bad.
You can also transfer the lasagna to an airtight container. If you don't plan on eating the rest of it that week, take it out of the baking dish and wrap it in plastic wrap, then put it in a freezer ziploc bag.
You can freeze this portion and reheat it when you want it again.
You sure can. Simply omit the meat and instead saute some vegetables then simmer with the sauce. Assemble the lasagna the same way as the instructions state.
I always think that spinach makes a great addition to lasagna. That's how we always had it as kids growing up.
Believe it or not, the first layer for lasagna is a sauce layer! Ladle on some sauce followed by the first row of lasagna noodles.
More Dinner Recipes
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ large yellow onion, diced
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 40 oz marina sauce
- 15 lasagna noodles
- 24 oz mozzarella cheese, grated
- 15 oz ricotta
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ⅛ tsp Pepper
- Preheat oven to 375
- Brown the ground beef, and drain off excess grease
- Add the onions and garlic and cook with ground beef until the onions soften
- Sprinkle in the oregano, red pepper flakes, a pinch of salt and pepper
- Pour in the marinara and simmer for 20 minutes on low
- Cook the lasagna noodles (cook a few extra in case one or two breaks) in a pot of boiling water (add a pinch or two of salt), drain and set aside
- Stir together the egg and ricotta, season it with salt, pepper and oregano
- Shred the mozzarella cheese
- Grab a 9x13 baking dish and spread a layer of the meat sauce in the bottom
- Lay down 5 lasagna noodles, overlapping them
- Spread out ⅓ of the ricotta mixture, ⅓ of the meat sauce and ⅓ of the mozzarella cheese
- Repeat this for a total of 3 layers
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes
- Remove the foil and cook an additional 10 minutes
- Remove from the lasagna from the oven and let it sit 15 minutes before serving so everything can set
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 606mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 20g
This information comes from online calculators. Although moderncrumb.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.