This carrot cake roll is too good not to make and so easy to throw together. Filled with shredded carrots and cream cheese frosting – it’s the perfect shortcut when you don’t have enough time for the classic carrot cake.
This is a sponsored post by Prince of Peace Ginger, all reviews and opinions are my own.
I absolutely adore carrot cake. It’s actually my favorite cake of all cakes. Making a roll cake, or a log cake, is so foolproof you can’t mess it up and you only need half the time of a traditional cake.
And what carrot cake roll wouldn’t be complete without that mouth water cream cheese frosting. Yep, it’s got that too. Plus some cute little carrot designs on top, that I made with a snack size ziploc bag for piping – so easy.
- eggs – this gives the cake roll a lot of lift
- sugar – for sweetness
- shredded carrots – the main ingredient
- flour – holds everything together
- salt – for flavor
- baking powder – extra lift
- ginger chews – I opted for ginger chews since I like the spiciness of them
I used a few Prince of Peace ginger chews in place of ginger powder. They are individually wrapped and I love being able to toss them in to whatever I’m making that calls for ginger.
But they also melt really well, so for this I put two ginger chews in a little glass bowl with 1 teaspoon of water and heated in the microwave. After that it went right in to my batter!
How Do I roll up a cake?
Isn’t this the funniest technique? You would think rolling up a flat piece of cake would just break everywhere, right? But it doesn’t! It’s purely magic. And here’s how you do it.
- You bake the cake thinly
- As soon as it comes out of the oven that’s when you have to roll it, while it’s still hot
- Powdered sugar and parchment paper are both used so it doesn’t stick when you roll it up
- Think of a jellyroll, roll roll roll
- Once it cools, you can unroll it and then it remembers the shape it was in – no breaking
Make sure to follow the Modern Crumb Board on Pinterest for lots of yummy meal inspiration! And subscribe to the newsletter, below, to get updates when new recipes post.
Easy Carrot Cake Roll
- 3 eggs beaten
- 3/4 c sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c packed finely shredded carrots
- 3/4 c flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 ginger chews + 1 tsp water – melt in the microwave 10 second intervals
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
cream cheese frosting
- 1 stick cream cheese softened
- 1/4 c butter softened
- 2 c powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- splash of vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375
- Combine the eggs and sugar in a bowl, beat on high for 3 minutes until it has at least doubled in size and is pale and foamy
- Add the vanilla and shredded carrots
- Add the melted ginger chews, stir
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg
- Add the dry to the wet ingredients, stirring
- Spray a rimmed cooking sheet with nonstick spray, cover with a layer of parchment paper
- Spread the batter evenly over the parchment paper, to all sides (if your pan is bigger than 10×15 only spread it out to those measurements)
- Bake for 8 minutes
- Lay a clean kitchen towel down on your counter, dust with a good amount of powdered sugar (it could get sticky when you unroll otherwise)
- Remove the cake from the oven and quickly flip on to the towel, face down (so the parchment paper side is face up)
- Gently remove the parchment paper and sprinkle with more powdered sugar
- Roll the cake up rather snug and let it sit for at least 1 hour, until cool
- Whip together the cream cheese frosting filling; cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, pinch of salt and vanilla until smooth and silky
- Unroll and spread with the cream cheese frosting
- Roll back up
- For the best taste, refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving