Crispy sweet potato fries tossed with a savory seasoning, crispy on the outside and soft inside!
Sweet Potato Fries. It’s kind of a new’ish thing. Crispy sweet potato fries weren’t a craze when I was kid, but it’s become a big fad. The healthy french fry. Is that like the better looking twin? Sweet potato fries are heaven-sent, even sweet potato nay sayers love sweet potato fries (guilty).
You can get creative and give them different toppings (like parmesan and parsley) or with dipping sauces (like a spicy mayo). I actually like to dip them in garlic vegetable dip, you know, where all you do is mix sour cream and a packet. My local grocery store has a really good garlic one, it doesn’t even taste really garlicky…just yummy!
CRISP. That’s how we like our sweet potato fries, nice and crispy but not so crispy it’s just pure crisp. A nice mixture of crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. The perfect texture.
Frying them is just the way to go, for restaurant quality, crave-worthy sweet potato fries you just have to do it. For years I tried to get that when I baked my sweet potato fries but it always left me feeling disappointed.
I tried every method out there, it just never happened and I was sick of semi burnt sweet potato fries just to get them crisp. SO I went the fry method and never looked back.
I was going for something similar to my son’s favorite burger spot, it’s called Zin Burger and we’re obsessed. And i’m obsessed with their sweet potato fries. These are so similar!
Here are some tips for frying sweet potatoes:
- Wash your sweet potato after you peel them, but not after you cut the fries
- Cornstarch gives you crispy sweet potato fries
- Fry at 350
Crispy Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and rinsed
- 3-4 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 48 oz oil
- Use a mandoline slicer to cut the sweet potatoes into fries shape
- Put them in a big bowl and toss with olive oil and the pepper
- In a large pan carefully heat the oil to 350, using a candy thermometer
- In a little bowl combine the salt and paprika
- Toss the sweet potato fries with cornstarch
- In batches add the sweet potatoes to the hot oil (being VERY careful)
- Use an oil splatter screen while they are cooking to avoid any splatters
- Cook until they start turning a darker orange but before they get too dark (this varies, some of my batches took 3 minutes others took 6 minutes)
- Use a slotted spoon to remove them to a paper towel, toss with the salt/paprika combo and then transfer the fries to a large piece of parchment paper, spreading to a thin layer
- Repeat until they are all cooked