A gorgeous strawberry basil galette with homemade whipped cream on top. Flaky homemade pie crust really is the secret to this mouth watering galette.
What is a strawberry galette?
Basically a galette is a flat, messy edged pastry.
There’s a lot of room for error, you really can’t mess it up which means it’s so easy to make!
How stress free is that?
You start with rolled out pie crust, add the strawberry filling and fold up the edges until you get back to where you started folding. Bake and your done!
I love strawberry and basil together. Do you?
It has such a gorgeous fresh taste and this is the perfect thing to make when you need something quick but also want it to be pretty.
And absolutely perfect for summer.
So, break out the last of those strawberries (or maybe even whatever fruit you have lying around), a handful of basil and whip this up in just around 30 minutes.
Make sure to follow the Modern Crumb Board on Pinterest for lots of yummy meal inspiration! And subscribe to the newsletter, below, to get updates when new recipes post.
Strawberry Basil Galette
- 1 1/2 lbs strawberries cut in half
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- fresh basil leaves
- 8 oz heavy whipping cream
- pinch or two of sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c flour
- 1 stick butter 8 tbsp, cold and cut into small cubes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 c ice cold water
- Preheat oven to 400
- Toss together the strawberries, sugar and water
- Mix together the flour, salt and baking powder
- To this add the butter and cut it into the flour with a fork or pastry cutter until pea sized bits are left
- Add the 1/2 c ice cold water and gently mix until you form a ball
- Roll it out to a flat circle, it doesn’t need to be perfect and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Add the strawberries to the middle of the pie crust
- Fold the edges all the way around leaving an open space in the center
- Brush the edges of the pie crust with some heavy cream
- Bake for 20-25 minutes
- Beat together the heavy whipping cream, vanilla and a few pinches of sugar until it thickens and forms stiff peaks
- Let the galette cool slightly and top with fresh basil leaves and the whipped cream