Trick or treat! These cute Halloween spider peanut butter cookies are bound to be the talk of the party on October 31st. A chewy peanut butter cookie topped with a Hershey kiss, candy eyes and eight semi-sweet chocolate spider legs.
This recipe was first published on October 25, 2021.
Just looking at these spider cookies makes me want to gobble them up! You can't help but smile when you see them. The chocolate spider legs and candy googly eyes totally transforms them into a Halloween treat fit for any table.
If you think they look familiar, it's because they do. These are peanut butter blossom cookies made to look like spiders. The hershey kiss is turned on it's side and googly eyes are glued on using chocolate. The little chocolate legs are made out of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Just like a traditional peanut butter blossom they are rolled in sugar to give them the crackle appearance.
For the full list of ingredient amounts and instructions see the recipe card.
- white sugar
- brown sugar
- creamy peanut butter - it's important to use a no stir peanut butter, the ones that come separated will make the cookies have a different crumbly texture
- vanilla extract
- all purpose flour
- baking soda
- milk chocolate kisses
- semi sweet chocolate chips
- candy googly eyes
How To Make Spider Cookies
Cookie dough. To make the cookie dough cream together softened butter, white sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Stir in the vanilla extract and creamy peanut butter.
Mix in the egg, this should be fully mixed in.
In a separate bowl, sift together all purpose flour, salt and baking soda. Add it to the bowl of wet ingredients and mix until the cookie dough has just come together.
Chill for 30 minutes in the fridge.
Rolling. To get the same size cookies I recommend using a cookie scoop. An average size cookie is a 1 ½ tablespoon scoop. Scoop out balls of cookie dough and line them up on a baking sheet, making sure to leave enough space between each for spreading.
Using your hands roll them into a ball then roll them into some white sugar.
Place them back on the baking sheet.
Baking. Place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 9-10 minutes at 375 degrees.
When the cookies are done, pull them from the oven to cool, but get ready with the hershey kisses they will go on top right away!
Decorating. Turn a chocolate kiss on it's side and press it into the top of the cookie.
Carefully transfer the peanut butter cookies to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Once the cookies are cool you can decorate them. Melt the semi sweet chocolate chips in a microwave safe glass dish in 5 second increments, stirring between each until the chocolate is melty.
Grab a ziploc bag and transfer the chocolate into it, snip the tip off an edge. Squeeze on 8 spider legs to each cookie. For the candy eyes, dot some chocolate on the back and press it on to the flat edge of the Hershey kiss.
You can store your peanut butter spider cookies in an airtight container on the counter top. They are best eaten with 5 days.
These cookies can also be frozen, and are best eaten within 3 months.
Yes! This is so important because if you use the type of peanut butter that comes separated the cookies will have a crumbly texture.
They were baked for too long.
- ½ c butter, softened
- ½ c white sugar
- ½ c brown sugar
- ½ c creamy peanut butter (no stir kind)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 ¼ c all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 27 Hershey milk chocolate kisses, foils removed
- ¼ c sugar
- ¼ c semi sweet chocolate chips
- 54 candy google eyes
- 1 small ziploc bag
- Preheat oven to 375
- Cream together the softened butter, white sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes on high)
- Mix in the vanilla extract and peanut butter
- Stir in the egg, this should be fully mixed in
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, salt and baking soda
- Add this to the wet ingredients, mix until just combined
- Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Use a cookie scoop (1 ½ tbsp size), to scoop out the cookie dough
- Form these into a ball
- Roll each cookie dough ball in sugar
- Place on the baking sheet
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden on the bottom
- Pull from the oven and turn a milk chocolate kiss on it’s side and press in the center of each cookie
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool on the counter or in the fridge for quicker cool (the chocolate needs to be set before you continue on)
- Heat in 5 second increments the semi sweet chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl
- Spoon the chocolate into a small ziplock bag and snip the end with scissors, a very small hole
- Squeeze on 8 legs for each spider, starting at the Hershey kiss center and moving outward
- Dot a small amount of chocolate on the back of a googly eye and press to the flat portion of the Hershey kiss
It's important to use a no stir peanut butter for best texture, if you do not the cookie dough is very crumbly.
Bake 8 minutes for a much chewier cookie
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 27 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 193Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 128mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 2g
This information comes from online calculators. Although moderncrumb.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates.