Whoopie pies are basically a cake like cookie, two cookies sandwiched together with a filling in between. Since I love a good twist on a recipe, we're making this easy whoopie pie recipe with cinnamon and ginger!
I know, I'm excited too! I just want to take a minute and share a few of the responses I received about these little gems.
Mystery person #1:
"Oh my gosh, these are so good. Bring me more!"
Mystery person #2:
"The whoopie pie was so good! I hid it from the family and ate the whole thing"
That last one had me laughing out loud.
As soon as you open the oven door you're hit with the most amazing, hypnotizing aroma of cinnamon and ginger.
It's heavenly, really! The whole house just smells delicious all day long.
My favorite candle is actually cinnamon and boy do these little cookies have that scent beat!
My kids kept asking me "what's that smell mom"!? They can barely wait to eat these once they are out of the oven, but can you blame them?
To get perfect cookies I used a small cookie scoop, it's a 2 tablespoon size.
If you want even smaller cookies you can use a 1 tablespoon size which I think would be perfect for a bite sized treat.
While they cool it's the perfect time to make your filling.
I don't know about you but where there is cream cheese frosting, there is me!
Whoopie pies are much more fun than a traditional cookie (because, frosting!!). It's like a cake and a cookie morphed into one. Such a treat!
For the filling its equal parts butter and cream cheese plus some powdered sugar and vanilla. You whip on high speed to get a really creamy and thick cream cheese butter cream.
These little (err, not so little) whoopie pies are fluffy, moist and oh so delectable. I dropped off some to my friends and to my husbands co-workers. Who doesn't love a sandwich cookie? These got rave reviews across the board!
It's the perfect balance of cinnamon and ginger, neither overpowers the other and they work in beautiful harmony.
I know you will fall in love with these whoopie pies!
- 1 stick of butter
- ¼ c white sugar
- ½ c brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ c buttermilk
- 2 c flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ¼ stick butter, at room temperature
- 2 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 1 ¼ c powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cream together butter, sugar and brown sugar, until light and fluffy (about 4 minutes on high)
- Add the vanilla and egg, beat until combined
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ginger
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and buttermilk into the wet ingredients, on low speed
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, use a 2 tbsp cookie scoop and leave enough space for them to expand
- Bake for 12 minutes
- On low speed mix the butter, cream cheese, vanilla, powdered sugar and salt, turn the speed up to high and beat until fluffy and thick
- Spoon the cream cheese buttercream on to a cooled whoopie pie, grab another whoopie pie and sandwich it together
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g